Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

maxim fan controlers / working with smd

Status
Not open for further replies.

glmclell

Hi gang.

Has anyone dabbled with the MAX6660 or MAX6650 (or 6651) smbus fan controllers?

Has anyone seen them for sale single item quanities?

from the datasheet, they appear to be tiny surface mount devices - how do I work with something that small, are there generic proto-boards with the proper solder pad spacing that extend to a more normal-sized enviroment? do I use a normal soldering iron with a filed down tip?

any feedback is appericated!

-----

6660: **broken link removed**
6650: **broken link removed**

find another chip I recommend that strongly because those generic proto boards are quite expensive, if you want to do more than one of these it bee cheaper to make a small production run and there your looking at 100 bucks the protoboards arew availble at fry's electronics for 50 bucks
and that package only had four
so more that 8 of these your spending about 100 bucks either way or more. tell you right now this stuff will cost you a fortune, but the maxim cvhips you can get a sample of 2 for free
terramir

I did more googling and found a method that I'm going to try... basicly its glueing the chip to the pcb upside-down and then soldering fine gauge wire to each pin very carefully ;)

I requested some samples from maxim ... wonder how long they'll take to fulfill

I did order a few cheap protoboard adapters, incase the dead bug method doesnt workout ... www.epboard.com .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back