Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Max232 ic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_R

Hi,

Anyone have experience with the Texas Instruments MAX 232 ICs? They seem about half the price of the MAXIM versions.
Wondering what's the catch?

Thanks.

They're about the same, might require larger caps, check the datasheet.

I did,
At first glance they look like similar spec, but I did not look carefully at some of the advanced stuff like slew rates, Etc. But my application is no where near the limits.

Always suspicious when a product is half the price of its competition.

Thanks.

Every manufacturer seems to have MAX232 clones or variants. I haven't had a need for a level shifter in a while, but I used to use the ST ones.

If youre concerned about variations, and will have a use for a lot of them, consider sampling the parts from various manufacturers and testing them in a real-life scenario. If they all perform equally well, take the cheapest. That's what Id do.

Maxim were the first to sell the MAX232 so they are best known. As a result, they can charge more and still sell enough to make a good profit.

There are lots of different types of MAX232 clones. There are significant differences. It can be worth paying more for ones that work at lower voltages (down to 3V as opposed to 5V +/-10%) or ones that work with smaller value capacitors, which are smaller and cheaper.

There is also the skew rate. If you have a lower skew rate, there will be less electrical noise, but lower maximum baud rate.

Some MAX232 clones regulate their output voltage, which can result in much lower power consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back