Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Max Pulse Voltage for SCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

axi0m

Max Pulse Current for SCR

I'm looking to discharge a capacitor at around 3kA+. I intend to switch this circuit with an SCR or IGBT. The pulse will last far less than 1ms.

What I need to know is how much "over-current" a typical SCR or IGBT could handle for such a short period of time. Can its max current be exceeded by, say, a factor of 10 for a pulse less than 1ms? Perhaps more?

Thanks so much for you help!

edit:
just realized I had "voltage" in the title instead of "current." Fixed :)

Last edited:
Typical SCR data sheet shows Pulse ratings, including absolute max current, and "one-cycle" (of AC line) inrush pulse.

Railway traction motor-sized SCR's!

I did something like this some years ago and I was suprised by how cheap really big semiconductors were. Don't forget you can use a standard Motor driving Contactor if you prefer instead of a semiconductor. There's no need for a heatsink either.

When you're choosing a semiconductor, just buy big, it's not that much more expensive.

Tip: If you want a feelgood glow about the strength of your design, make sure you understand the Transient Thermal Impedance curves in the datasheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back