Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAX 485 Conections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

I'm transmitting data from a max485 transmitter to a max485 reciever.
I have some small questions.

1)Is it ok to permanantly tie DE to +5V to make as transmitter? Or after transmitting data it should turn off drivers by pulling DE low?
2)Is it ok to permanantly tie RE/ to 0V to make as a reciever?
3)What about if I use idle polarity resistors on both side as well?

Attachments

• RS485.JPG
    RS485.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 116
1)Is it ok to permanantly tie DE to +5V to make as transmitter? Or after transmitting data it should turn off drivers by pulling DE low?
Yes.

2)Is it ok to permanantly tie RE/ to 0V to make as a reciever?
Yes

3)What about if I use idle polarity resistors on both side as well?
I am not too sure about that, what advantage is there in doing that?
It would be better to put a 120Ohm terminating resistor across the two data lines, as per the diagrams in the Maxim datasheet.

JimB

You only put the polarity resistors on one side.... I normally use 150 from B to 5v 150 from A to ground and 150 between A and B.... Just a terminating resistor at A and B at the other side...

I use 150 because it goes quite a way...100+ meters... Also don't forget decoupling caps across the power rails at the other end or the noise is ridiculous...

You only put the polarity resistors on one side.... I normally use 150 from B to 5v 150 from A to ground and 150 between A and B.... Just a terminating resistor at A and B at the other side...

I use 150 because it goes quite a way...100+ meters... Also don't forget decoupling caps across the power rails at the other end or the noise is ridiculous...

Hi I use Resister from A to +5V & B to GND.Not like yours :(

Yes I have some noise coming into my drivers. Sometimes garbage values coming.I have never used terminating resisters.Do I need them? My cable length is 50-100m.

I read somewhere Transmitter should off when it is not used.But in my case it is always active.So either A or B is high (bus is not high impedance).Does this make noise coupling to it?

If you only have two devices, the A to 5v or B to 5v.. Its only to stabilise.. It works both ways round... However A to A and B to B connections... If you connect A to B and B to A, you will get garbage... With 50 ~ 100 m I would definately use the terminating resistor..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back