Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Matlab Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuchy143

Hi,

I am trying to manipulate a binary file(bootrom .bin file) so that I can put it into a .txt file in order to get it into the correct format to compare against another .txt file. Essentially I am trying to make the format of both files match by manipulating one. (don't ask why i'm doing this, long story)

I'm sure this is very simple, but, I am trying to import the .bin file into matlab, use fopen and then use textscan to get the file into an array. I also think I need to convert from dec2hex as well but one step at a time.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Matlab keeps spitting back jibberish.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• BinFile.jpg
    BinFile.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 109
  • Output.jpg
    Output.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
What format is the text file you are wanting to compare to?

There is no direct way to convert binary to text, it must be re-coded - and there are many different possible coding representations.
The commonest for such as ROM data would be Motorola S record format or Intel hex.

Info on both in this document: **broken link removed**

I apologize for the delay. Dang holidays.

Anyway, I attached the format of the file I want to compare to. In the beginning it is all 0000's but there is indeed data further down which I am interested in.

Just so I am fully understanding, you are saying that Matlab isn't capable of reading in a binary file(the one I attached) and then massaging it to a .txt file?

The way that I was able to pull the attached ".txt" file(i only show a screen shot - its too big) was to get the particular single board computer to boot up its kernel and then I type, " mr 0xFF800000 0x00800000" over my terminal window. It takes hours for it to dump all its contents of the bootrom chip but I didn't design this board so it's the only way I know to grab the bootrom off of it. Before I dumped it I set my terminal window to dump to a log file so then I just rename it to a .txt and waalaaa its in a format I can compare to.

If there are better ways of doing what I am doing please say. I'm just doing what I know.

Thanks again for the response!

Attachments

• AssetFormat.PNG
    AssetFormat.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 101
Part of the problem & confusion is that you are not dealing with a "binary file" - they are just text files, containing hexadecimal representations of binary data.

What you actually need is nearer a text editor macro to reformat the text to the same column layout format in each file.
I'll see what I can come up with..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back