Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making off-grid electrical systems work at their best

Status
Not open for further replies.

synaptic

I'm new on this forum and very interested in all things solar , so I thought I'd start off with a link to "hxxps: // handybobsolar . wordpress . com / Handy Bob ".

I've been reading his articles for years and he really knows his stuff , especially with regard to RVs

He also has a pretty low opinion of solar power companies , which is often amusing to read.

I hope other people get some useful info from his blog .

Regards

Synaptic

Edit : I should state clearly that I have absolutely no connection to " Handy Bob " [ electrical or otherwise :) ]
But when I first started working with solar power systems around the Mediterranean I learned a great deal from this guy's writing !

Last edited by a moderator:
off-grid topics are quite varied and well-documented. Quality and capacity of energy storage device is also key and diverse.
Panel power drops abruptly with cloud blocked sun but clear sky conditions and to a lesser extent, orientation as they tend to be wide-angle receptors (Lambertian response)
Whereas light overcast can still disperse a good amount of energy but with noticeable loss.

The best answer come from the best questions.

off-grid topics are quite varied and well-documented. Quality and capacity of energy storage device is also key and diverse.
Panel power drops abruptly with cloud blocked sun but clear sky conditions and to a lesser extent, orientation as they tend to be wide-angle receptors (Lambertian response)
Whereas light overcast can still disperse a good amount of energy but with noticeable loss.

Another consideration is that those cells covered with pigeon s**t turn into a resistor that waste energy.

You have touched on some interesting points there Tony.

I reckon that around 80% of people who have invested in solar systems are disappointed with the performance that they experience .

Most times they contact the so-called " experts " ( often the very same people who sold them the under-performing system ! )
And these companies always say the same thing ..... buy more batteries , or buy more panels ( or both ) ... but please buy them from us !

And they are nearly always WRONG !

In my experience , it is extremely rare that these are really the root causes of a poorly performing solar power system .

MPPT offer modest gains if the Vbatt is mismatched with 75% of Voc of the PV.
Naturally there are many wrong ways to install systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back