Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making a glow plug? or hot metal wire..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ds..... Wasn't it Hans who said I need more lessons in ohms law....Ha Ha Ha....

Hi Mr. Perfect,

some day I'll certainly find a typo in one of your posts. ;)

Here is the headline of the thread:

Making a glow plug? or hot metal wire..

Of course, copper is a metal, as well as nichrome or constantan are.

You stated that copper wire might have a resistance of 0.2 Ohm/ft and at the same time "promoted" it for zero Ohm resistance. That way you saved a lot of work for scientists searching for the perfect conductor. ;)

A little refreshment on the specific resistance of copper will reveal a value of 0.01786 Ohm at 1 square mm cross section and 1m of length.

Since the melting temperature of copper is relatively low (1,357K/1,084C) it would be almost the worst choice to use it for heating purposes.

Wolfram has a higher specific resistance than copper and its melting temperature is 3,695K/3,422C)

BTW, calling me by my first name is reserved for friends only!

Boncuk

Last edited:
Deleted Off Topic

Moderation: E

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mr. Perfect,

some day I'll certainly find a typo in one of your posts. ;)

No doubt!! I make tons of them.... As Eric will tell you.. eye sight ain't what it used to be...

BTW, calling me by my first name is reserved for friends only!

Boncuk

I am friends to every one (I try to be)... Don't be mad with me... Your knowledge is excellent and you help people quite a bit, as do I. Common cause.
I have enjoyed our little debacle... it was fun. I wasn't offended and I hope you weren't..... Miss understandings are inevitable.... Lets leave there..

Last edited:
Ok so....

I dont really care about the resistance of the wire etc or all the technical stuff..

All i want to know is what type of wire (thickness) and what i can use to power it that is portable...

I just thought connecting a AA battery to wire would work. but i cant see how it cant if the link i sent does exactly that???

Then i am looking into high current gain for trensformers etc..

can some one help me make something like this????

Look, one more time. I gave you suggestions and I pointed out the need for some trial and error. While I have not seen it mentioned you want a temperature around 355 to 385 degrees F. Just connecting a AA battery will likely work as obviously the gizmos sold as vaporizers seem to work using a AA battery or two. The technical crap is all part of it. Look at these charts. Note the temperature chart. Then note the resistance by wire gauge sizes. The preferred temperature is about 365 degrees F. You only want to vaporize the active chemicals you want, not burn the stuff. Temperature is everything in the process.

Now if you want to screw around with a roll of nichrome wire have at it but I would break a lamp or two and experiment a little as I mentioned earlier. There is no cut and dried solution to get where you want to go with this. It's about wire gauge, wire resistance, the alloy used, the voltage applied and ultimately getting the right temperature. You want to use an off the shelf solution with an easy to replace element.

Ron

You want to use an off the shelf solution with an easy to replace element.
Can you buy a replacement element from them?
Then all you would need is a battery.

i get you ron, smart kid

But im not doin this for actual vaporising of herbs, i smoke my TOBACCO

this was just something as an example that i found in my four twenty wet leaf search.

i couldnt find any other links that use wire and battery to heat them. apart from glow plugs, but thats in the title!!!!

:D

Last edited:
Deleted: Off Topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought we were talking about heating a wire.

Look at Cazzo's latest post. I think that says enough to prevent me from helping anymore, anyway. I do not approve of drugs and drug paraphernalia, regardless of what it is used for.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back