Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mains power protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighty

Hi All

As you can see I'm from South Africa, and well, we have really bad power at times.

After having 3 bad "surges" in the last hour, I was sitting and thinking, Best I do something to start protecting my TV, Stereo etc.

As I understand, most commercial available protection devices only use MOVs to protect, now I know that MOVs protects against over voltage and lighting, but how does one protect from power "lulls" (power drop)? is there a device that cutts the power for say a couple seconds before it connects again, therefore saving the piece of equipment?

Thanks

AVR. Automatic Voltage Regulators, pop that into Google and see what's available where you're at. They protect from both dips and spikes, but not true brownouts so it depends on the actual dips you're getting as to what will occur, a UPS system fed from the AVR, or a UPS with an integral AVR would be your best solution, as even deep brownouts or total power loss won't affect you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back