Magnetic Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, no single wire type is the best at every application. Special applications do best with specially designed wire types.

I sure got tired of manually using 30 gauge wire wrap as a field service engineer in the 70s, that stuff is tuff to strip and using a manual unwrapping and wrapping tool takes some time to master. The factory guys had the special electric strippers/wrappers/unwrappers but I had a couple of 6" straight tools and a special stripper, poor lighting and sore back and knees.

Lefty

Last edited:
In what way ?

I already said it: You can solder it without striping it first, yet the insulation is very tough, abrasion resistant, and good to 270degF. You can cross two wires without the risk of a short. I have a 1/2lb spool of the Belden 8054, and have made dozens of hand-wired breadboards with it.

The wire-wrap wire I have used has a thermoplastic insulation that is easily damaged, and a crossover can extrude the insulation to cause a short if either wire is heated within a half inch of the crossover.

Attachments

• Belden.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…