Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnetic sensor interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayhall

I am designing a circuit that will convert the signal from a magnetic (reluctor) sensor as used on engines to read crankshaft position.

This circuit works, but there are some problems. It is far too sensitive and can read the signal from the sensor when it is 100mm from the teeth on the crankshaft trigger. The sensor is normally 1mm from the teeth.

I need to modify the circuit so it will not read any signal that is less then 500mv and have a hysteresis. I need any signal that goes over 500mv and then crosses zero to be seen as a good signal.

Sorry if I do not have the correct jargon. My background is automotive not electronics.

Ray.

**broken link removed**

First, R9 is responsible for decreasing sensitivity. Lower the resistance in R9 to lower the sensitivity.
Second, forcing "ignore" to 500 millivolts can be accomplished by making a voltage divider that sets pin 3 at 500 millivolts above pin 2.
Third hysteresis is accomplished by adding a resistor from the output to the non-inverting input (pin 3).
The bias circuit for "ignore" will contribute to reducing the sensitivity by wasting some of the signal.
These things are interactive. I could not do the math from here.

I do not see any DC path to ground for the 100nA (max.) input bias current of the LM193. There needs to be a resistor (say 100kΩ) connected from one of its inputs to ground to provide that path.

Last edited:
I have changed the circuit to add the 500mv offset, and that works. Does R4 also provide the input bias current. I have not done anything with the hysteresis.

Ray.

**broken link removed**

I have changed the circuit to add the 500mv offset, and that works. Does R4 also provide the input bias current. I have not done anything with the hysteresis.
R4 does indeed provide a path for the bias current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back