Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

magnetic field measurement with an RF oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joop

I want to measure a magnetic field and for various reasons (drift, offset, temperature sensitivity and noise) I can't use a HAL-sensor or a magneto-resistive sensor. So I am thinking about using the properties of ferroxcube to measure the field.

From what I have read, the magnetic properties of ferroxcube changes when a magnetic field is applied. So I could build an RF oscillator and measure it's frequency. The oscillator's frequency will then tell me indirectly what the magnetic field strength is.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Never tried it, but it almost sounds similiar to a metal detector type circuit. Unless the field is constantly changing you're going to have a hard time picking it up your way.

Ferroxcube is the name of a company. What is the name of the product you are referring to, and who makes it?

Ron

The ferrite material commonly used in coils for HF/VHF oscillators will do. It doesn't need to be ferroxcube. The principle is commonly used in VCO's and is also called a vari-L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back