Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magician in need of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob West

Hello there,

Sorry, I'm new to this forum, and to electronics in general, and was after some help. Essentially, I'm a professional magician, and in my spare time I like making stuff - it sort of comes with the territory. Anyway, I've recently got into making the occasional electronic gadget to help with my otherwise totally legitimate magical powers, and was looking for some help.

Essentially, I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of something to educate me regarding building small transmitters/receivers that could work over a reasonably short range (about 20ft maximum). They don't need to send any information or anything, just an on or off kind of deal. Ideally the circuits I'm looking to build need to be small enough to be secreted about my person.

Any help/ideas?

Thanks very much,

Rob West

There are plenty of project ideas for infrared remote control projects like that, but they require line of site. RF would be a little more complicated. I'm not aware of any simple kits out there, it's not really something you want to start on. But other users may have better ideas on where to get kits that can do what you're talking about. Also you need to be pretty specific about what you're trying to turn on/off

Wireless doorbells are pretty cheap, transmitter is little bigger than the 12v AAA sized battery, could be re-cased. 100 foot range or so. Just have to dig around the receiver for the signal. Making RF stuff is pretty tough, more so if you don't have the right test equipment. It can be done, just not easy, even from a kit (built several).

Buy a pager..

The fees for pager service in the US are so low right now it'd be cheaper than trying to adhoc it yourself

I second the wireless doorbells. Tiny transmitter PCB, cheap (often well under $20 for both TX/RX pair) and easily adaptable to trigger something by RF remote.

some remotes are available in local market to be used in car door locks, for those who wants to convert their manual lock to remote, it can also be a good option.

I recall a simple 555 transmitter (just want a vibration ) the transmitter receiver was to locate ones car in a parking lot I recall.
will get back to you.
I myself tinker with magic tricks occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back