Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magic: The Mini-magic Switchboard should I make it a kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
blueroomelectronics said:
LOL well I figured it out, shall I sign you all up for kits? ;)
Knowing how it works takes the fun out of it, like 3V0 said turn off the volume on the video.

Sign me up but price is a factor, no way I would pay what that firm is asking.

So are you going to spill the beans on how it works or hold us all hostage to your commercial interests :D

PS turning off the audio did not help me gain any in site, but then again I'm pretty easy to fool....

Lefty

Well since I'm not a magician I'll post how it's done.
Clue:
The lamps are simply lamps, the switches are just switches. There is a microcontroller or logic circuit involved. (A micro makes this simple)
Spoiler:
Reset: all switches down, wait a few seconds will clear the sequence.
The bulbs are light from left to right until you have told the controller the sequence.
Once the sequence is learned by the controller you can turn the lights on in any sequence. To change the sequence turn all the switches off and wait.

There is one section where the magician uses slight of hand.

The magician puts two caps in each hand and asks the assistant to pick one hand.
The magician discards two caps and distributes the remaining caps such that he has one in each hand.
The assistant picks a hand and the magician gives him the red switch cap.
The assistant puts the red cap on a switch.
The magician flips that switch and the red lamp lights.

Can you figure out how that is done ?

3v0 said:
There is one section where the magician uses slight of hand.

The magician puts two caps in each hand and asks the assistant to pick one hand.
The magician discards two caps and distributes the remaining caps such that he has one in each hand.
The assistant picks a hand and the magician gives him the red switch cap.
The assistant puts the red cap on a switch.
The magician flips that switch and the red lamp lights.

Can you figure out how that is done ?

No and if someone doesn't spill the beans in a clear way soon I'm going to be pissed :mad:

PM me if you don't want to spoil to for others
Lefty

Leftyretro said:
No and if someone doesn't spill the beans in a clear way soon I'm going to be pissed :mad:

PM me if you don't want to spoil to for others
Lefty
Can't you see Bill's reply with some hidden message?

I'm such a dummy, it's obvious!

It's about the predetermined sequence of the bulbs (left to right) which dictates which switch he flips.!

I think the slight of hand confused me, so it had to be the red cap or it wouldn't have worked.

Perhaps having it left to right all the time is too obvious (well even if it did fool a mug like me :D), it could just be left to right the first time, then some other order the second time which could be altered using a secret switch hidden in the battery compartment. The only problem would be that we still want the final sequence to be left to right, this could be fixed by programming it completely reset after a certain number of iterations.

It's probably so expensive because it's hand made and they only sell a few a week.

It does look high quality though.

I built a PIC programmer ages ago and haven't used it so this looks like a great idea for my first PIC project.

This is how I described the action.

Use a learning mode and a playback mode.

After 10 or so seconds with all switches off it forgets and goes back to the learning mode.

In the leaning mode the operator must flip the switches in the same order as the bulbs sequence from left to right.

Once the 4th switch is flipped (learning sequence complete) the system enters the playback mode. Each switch will light the bulb that it lit during the learning mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back