Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAC address problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkvenki

Hi All,

My problem is basically with assigning a MAC address for my product.
The vendor of my chip has suggested a procedure to do it. But that is not working out.

Can i use an external EEPROM to store my MAC address?? So that i can read it whenever needed. If i go as per the procedure specified by my vendor( which is not working) the MAC address is stored in FLASH. Will this location be accessed during the BOOT process?? If yes can i achieve the3 same using an EEPROM??

The Mac address is stored in flash but it can be over ridden via software. There should be methods to change the MAC address on whatever operating system you're using. I'd recommend contacting the vendor and telling them what's going on as they're most likley to be able to help you.

The vendor of my chip has suggested a procedure to do it.
you really need to tell us what chip you are using so we can give you the proper answer.

Thanks for your concern,

I'm using a VS2000TCM-ETH1 module. The module contains VS2000 chip from Velocity.

There is a command to set the serial number and MAC address, through jtag. First we were suspecting the proper working of jtag, but it is working fine as we are able download our program to the chip. The only problem we are having is in assigning the serial number and MAC address. Please find below the error log,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
C:\>jtagmodifyconfigdata
Download cable version: $0A

Using serial port COM1 at 115200 baud

Current configuration:
Serial num: 01405800139
Primary MAC address: 0e:75:00:1a:03:75
Secondary MAC address: 43:fc:0a:46:43:8c

Set serial number ? (y/n) n
Set primary MAC ? (y/n) n
Set secondary MAC ? (y/n) n

Current configuration:
Serial num: 01405800139
Primary MAC address: 0e:75:00:1a:03:75
Secondary MAC address: 43:fc:0a:46:43:8c

Commit data to board ? (y/n) y
error: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.dctl.jtag.Comms.modifyConfigData(Comms.java:374)
at com.dctl.jtag.Main.main(Main.java:116)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have reported this error to them. But the problem is they are not able to recreate the error. Now we know that the serial number and MAC address is written at location 0x004000, So through coding can we place the serial number and MAC address directly to the specified flash location??? If we do this, are there any possibilities that we may mess up something???

maybe u should take care of bootstrap

Hi tkvenki,

Maybe you can do this.....

1. Read the location 0x4000 using C coding (application)
2. By this you will come to know the format in which the MAC is stored.
3. THen u can write to the flash in a similar format.

Hi all.....I'm new to this forum. Kindly correct me if i'm wrong.
Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back