Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LVP Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to program a PIC 16F873A or 16F84A using an LVP cable? I read over the 84 datasheet, but I didnt find anything. Im looking to build a LVP cable because I cant get my hands on a 12v zener in less than a few weeks, and I need to program a chip or two before next week. Thanks.

Can't you use some lower voltage zeners in series?

Like two 6V units or an 8V and 4V unit.

Unfortunately I only have the 5.1v zener's on hand, and in series thats only 10.2v. I suppose I could use an LM317 and just use a regulated supply instead of zeners?

Of course you could, if you really want to use diodes then add two normal rectifiers in series with the zeners to make 12V.

Anyway I don't understand your question or PICs so I can't help you with this unless it's propper electronics.

My question is: can I program a PIC 16F84A or 16F873A using one of **broken link removed** And for a normal programmer, I can just go (5.1 zener)-(5.1 zener)-(1N4148)-(1N4148)-(1N4148) (needed the third one, since 5.1+5.1+0.6+0.6+0.6=12) and that will work in place of a 12v zener? Awesome, thanks.

What voltage do you get if you apply a 10% tolerance to each part? Oh...you thought zeners were more precise than that...sorry Charlie.

LVP (Low Voltage Programming) is only available on specific PIC's, consult the datasheets to see if they support it, I don't think either of the two you've listed do support it?. It's also a VERY unused feature, as it wastes a PIC pin, and isn't really much simpler than a conventional HVP programmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back