Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LVDS cable extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacherynuk

Hi,
Can anybody recommend the best way & the cheapest way to extend this cable?

http://www.wastedspace.co.uk/hmd/tmp/lvds/

There are 12 very small gauge signal wires + 2 larger power wires.
Currently the cable is about 30cm and I want to extend to 3m I was thinking of just using 2xCAT5 cables.

The signal cables are too small for me to solder, I think and buying the right size crimping gear is a path I would rather not spend money on, so I was thinking of just kroning into an RJ45 patch plate…

Are the signalling cables too narrow for a krone plate, do you think?

As always, any and all advice is appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Zachery

Can you find a connector mate to the one you have? If so you could extend it that way.

Cat5/6 cable should work fine for the extension.

Don't know about the krone plate.

Can you find a connector mate to the one you have? If so you could extend it that way.

Cat5/6 cable should work fine for the extension.

Don't know about the krone plate.

I have had some difficulty finding the correct connectors with solder connections... perhaps I should just look harder, that is probably the most sensible thing to do... and not destroying the origional cable is also a bonus, I guess....

I have had some difficulty finding the correct connectors with solder connections... perhaps I should just look harder, that is probably the most sensible thing to do... and not destroying the origional cable is also a bonus, I guess....
Even if you can find a connector only with crimp connectors, you may be able to solder those as well.

One end is a IDC header [socket] you can buy the pcb mounting [plug] and solder a length of ribbon cable to the pins and use another IDC header at the far end.

Great, thanks - at least you didn't write it off for being too small a cable :) I'll hunt down some ends and will buy some Krone terminals too. If only RS components would let you browse their wares!

Arrgh, I am really struggling with the tiny scale of these wires !
Is there any general advice for dealing with stuff this small ?

Arrgh, I am really struggling with the tiny scale of these wires !
Is there any general advice for dealing with stuff this small ?
Obtain a large magnifier with a light mounted on an adjustable arm, miniature needle-nose pliers, and steady hands.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back