LVDS cable extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacherynuk

Hi,
Can anybody recommend the best way & the cheapest way to extend this cable?

http://www.wastedspace.co.uk/hmd/tmp/lvds/

There are 12 very small gauge signal wires + 2 larger power wires.
Currently the cable is about 30cm and I want to extend to 3m I was thinking of just using 2xCAT5 cables.

The signal cables are too small for me to solder, I think and buying the right size crimping gear is a path I would rather not spend money on, so I was thinking of just kroning into an RJ45 patch plate…

Are the signalling cables too narrow for a krone plate, do you think?

As always, any and all advice is appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Zachery

Can you find a connector mate to the one you have? If so you could extend it that way.

Cat5/6 cable should work fine for the extension.

Don't know about the krone plate.

Can you find a connector mate to the one you have? If so you could extend it that way.

Cat5/6 cable should work fine for the extension.

Don't know about the krone plate.

I have had some difficulty finding the correct connectors with solder connections... perhaps I should just look harder, that is probably the most sensible thing to do... and not destroying the origional cable is also a bonus, I guess....

I have had some difficulty finding the correct connectors with solder connections... perhaps I should just look harder, that is probably the most sensible thing to do... and not destroying the origional cable is also a bonus, I guess....
Even if you can find a connector only with crimp connectors, you may be able to solder those as well.

One end is a IDC header [socket] you can buy the pcb mounting [plug] and solder a length of ribbon cable to the pins and use another IDC header at the far end.

Great, thanks - at least you didn't write it off for being too small a cable I'll hunt down some ends and will buy some Krone terminals too. If only RS components would let you browse their wares!

Arrgh, I am really struggling with the tiny scale of these wires !
Is there any general advice for dealing with stuff this small ?

Arrgh, I am really struggling with the tiny scale of these wires !
Is there any general advice for dealing with stuff this small ?
Obtain a large magnifier with a light mounted on an adjustable arm, miniature needle-nose pliers, and steady hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…