Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LT1083

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUSUF1

Hi all,
I have LT1083 device. In this device datasheet mentioned output Max current is 7.5A. I used this device in battery charger. I am not able to charger my mobile battery as fast as possible. This IC only provide 0.5A. Kindly give sujection for getting more current in this IC. How to I get more current. My mail id: [Mod Edit: Email removed to protect member]

Are you charging a 12 Volt Battery?

You Can't properly charge a 12 Volt Battery with 12 Volts?
It usually Requires 13.6 to 14.5 Volts.

A mobile phone battery is charged under the control of an IC inside the phone. If that IC decides to limit the charge current to 0.5A there is nothing you can do with the LT1083 to increase the current.

Hi,

You should show the circuit you are using so we can look it over to see if it is correct, to start with.
You need to show the input voltage also and where that input voltage is coming from. If it is a wall wart you need to show the output of the wall wart voltage and current, and if it is regulated or non regulated (size of the wall wart in inches length, width, height, if you dont know if it is regulated or not).

A mobile phone battery is charged under the control of an IC inside the phone. If that IC decides to limit the charge current to 0.5A there is nothing you can do with the LT1083 to increase the current.
Some cell phones will charge at a higher rate, if and only if, the external charger "negotiates" with the cell phone's internal charge controller, and the internal controller "likes" the external charger.

This is done for two reasons.

1. is for safety; the maker of the cell phone doesn't want to be responsible if your phone catches fire and burns your house down because you used a home-brew or cheap aftermarket charger.

2. is to give the cell phone maker a competitive edge, because his "official" charger will charge at a higher rate than one you can buy cheaper...

Hi,

Yes, that's good to know.

The highest i know of is 1 amp which is 1000ma, and the lowest i've seen is 100ma. Mine is 700ma for example.

And yes the phone itself limits the current into the jack. So even with a 2 amp supply it will only take 500ma if that's all it takes, just like waht Alec said. That could be what is limiting it.

However, if it is limited to 500ma and it really can take 1000ma, then the 1083 circuit may not be constructed properly or the input voltage may be too low. That is why i requested more information about the circuit itself and what is powering it.

There is another issue also and that is the output of the regulator circuit. I believe some phones require 5.0v and some are 5.1v max. Going over the amx could blow out the cell phone charging circuit and maybe the whole phone. The power dissipation goes too high if the input to the phone is too high. They use charging ic's that depend on a constant 5.0v or 5.1v and that's important to get right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back