Lt Spice Inductor saturation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronv

Most Helpful Member
I've Googled around and found some stuff to make LTSpice show the effect of saturation in an inductor, but I haven't been able to make it work.

Just replace the value 10u with the formula below.
(Watch the 12.5 = 1/0.08, x is the coil current)
flux=10u*12.5*tanh(x*0.08)

I think my problem may be with x. I don't get any errors, but it reacts just like a resistor. Can someone help?

Ron, I don't have your answer, but I would ask this question on the Yahoo LtSpice group...

Thanks Mike, but that statement above was Helmit's. I think I just haven't figured out the equation.

Like this?
The LTspice 'Help' ..... helps

Attachments

• Inductor.asc
    501 bytes · Views: 344
God, I am so dense. I kept trying to put something in X.
Thanks.

Attachments

• StepUp555.asc
    2.8 KB · Views: 319
Hi,

The tanh() function models the BH curve, with H as the x axis and B as the y axis.
Since H is proportional to the current I, x would be the current through the inductor or at least proportional to current.
If you do a 2d plot of tanh(x) from say -5 to +5 you can see an entire anisotropic BH curve.

This kind of BH curve is called an "anisotropic" BH curve. Unlike a pure inductance that has a perfectly linear curve (straight line) it models saturation, but it does not model hysteresis. It does allow for faster calculations though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…