Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Temperature, 5V DC Heating Element

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke_Richardson

Hello,

I'm trying to find a good way of generating heat. More specifically, I need to raise the temperature of around 1 cubic centimeter of air by around 5-10 degrees F. The area will not be enclosed. Ideally, I would like to power the "heating element" from the 5V DC VIN pin on an Arduino. My current solution (not great I know), is a 100-ohm resistor. I have programmed my Arduino to read the temp around the resistor, if it falls below a threshold I set, it sends 5V through the resistor until the temp reaches the threshold. The problem is it takes far too long to reach the desired temp, and the area of air heated is far too small.

Any advice on this would really be appreciated.

~ Luke

I need to raise the temperature of around 1 cubic centimeter of air by around 5-10 degrees F.
OK.

The area will not be enclosed.
Well, there is your problem!

As the air heats up, convection currents will cause the heated air to rise and be replaced by cooler ambient air.

Enclose your 1cc volume in insulating material, it does not have to be thick, just try some cardboard, and I think your problem will be fixed.

JimB

Light bulbs are good at making heat. Just don’t abuse your Arduino.

If you only need a small area heated then enclose a larger area and include a fan, heater and temperature sensor. If the temperature you need can be below ambient then a peltier device may be needed. If you tell us what you're trying to do then we maybe able to help.

Mike.

Use 6 resistors to make the edges of a six-sided box and power connected to opposite corners.

To yield 100 ohms, it is essentially three parallel strings of two resistors in series, use 6 resistors at 150 ohms each to get the same current draw.

You can also add a layer of silicone or epoxy to the outside edge of each resistor that makes the 6-sided box. This will insulate that side and force more heat to be emitted toward the center of the box.

An interesting solution gophert.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back