Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low current on 110v -> 550v amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinouchi

I've been working on constructing a voltage amplifier (/full wave rectifier) to boost from 110VAC to ~550VDC. It works fine, except that the current is very low (20mA) and I'm not sure why. I'm using 250V 1uF film caps and some 1N4007 diodes assembled as seen here (minus the resistor, sub a 250mA fuse, and with only thee stages): **broken link removed** . With my limited knowledge of electronics, it seems that without any resistor to limit current, I should be able to get a LOT more than 20mA out of this thing. I'd like to end up with around 100-200mA.

Originally I had some 0.1uF caps and replaced them with the 1uF caps in hopes that the current would increase, but no such luck.

What is limiting the current?

Ah, ok thanks. I had a hunch that that may be the problem, but wasn't sure. What capacitance would you recommend for the desired output?

Aha, that makes sense. I'm using this amplifier to charge another cap (/cap bank) which I'm using as a spot welder. As of now, it does charge, but it takes a very long time - 10+ minutes to full capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back