Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lot of reserved memory in dspic30f

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was studying about the memory of the dpsic30f family microchip. In general also i am finding that there is lot of reserved memory why is it so? Is it a kind of wastage or they are not able to use it? I don't understand this.

I bet it is used for something if it is reserved. Where is this memory area that is reserved? Is it sram or flash? Usually part of the sram is reserved for peripheral registers etc. Then the freely usable memory space comes after that. Do you have a datasheet page where you found this information you are referring to? Is there some sort of memory that is not accessible?

Modern microcontroller memories are designed for C programming language. You can easily map C-structures directly to peripheral registers etc. Even the instruction sets are designed for C compilers.

Last edited:
Only the memory SPACE is reserved. No physical memory exists for these locations.

My guess is that these reserved addresses may be for current, or possible future PICs with more memory and more registers.

No physical memory is being wasted.

Only the memory SPACE is reserved. No physical memory exists for these locations.

Ok. I get it. When they design a peripheral, they need to assign registers to control the peripheral. It is smart to leave some gaps between different peripheral register for future use. If they need to add some functionality, they can use the unused memory near the existing registers and they do not need to move around and mess with registers assigned to other peripherals.

If you see the below memory we see lot of reserved. why is it like that? memory.png

My guess is that these reserved addresses may be for current, or possible future PICs with more memory and more registers.

No physical memory is being wasted.
I did not understand this you mean to say that they will not actually insert any physical chip in these memory locations. Am i correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back