Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lost My 4WD -bad shift module?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbr333

I am having problems with my wife's 4WD Tahoe and need help finding a replacement component. Thought I would post it up here and see if anyone can
help. I suspect a bad transistor in this shift control module but I can't decipher the numbers on it.

thanks , pbr333

Attachments

• BADTRANS1.jpg
    BADTRANS1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 244
That is probably a proprietary part number to keep people from doing the repair. Maybe an On Semiconductor part. Three terminal devices are fairly limited in scope of possibilities. Come likely possibilities are a voltage controller, dual rectifier, or transistor. If it were out of circuit, it would be relatively easy to tell between those three. Also, a good photo of both sides of the board will help to decide what the device is and/or is doing.

Before doing that, why do you thing the device is bad?

John

Are there any markings close to it on the pcb to identify it? I can see what looks like "D412" and "(R15)" which identify other components.

Well thanks for helping guys..and the replies you 3 made got me back on track ( thinking and pin to pin troubleshooting) . Initially I went through Chevrolets diagnostic procedure using factory manual , scan-tool and their diagnostic logic. This TCSC 4WD (transfer Case Shift Control) system requires repair every 50 - 100k miles since conception. Which is why all the major $ replacement parts are remanufactured , which is where I got the hint about transistors going out. I am a former master tech and always had accurate results when I went through the system pin to pin, testing in/out circiuts of the control unit (module , PCM...etc) registering the DTC's.
The DTC CO508 and the factory manual was suggesting shift module for short/open motor control but actually anything in circuit that gives a short, open ,low or high will set code. That old thread that MikeMI posted link to refreshed my brain and I went back and performed a complete test which revealed the missing voltage signal.

my complete test results = confident with the replacement part purchase.

educated guess , recommended repairs , in-circuit component testing = probable higher cost and longer delays to complete repair.

Thanks for the input everyone ...and thanks for the Forum ELECTRO-TECH !!

pbr333

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back