Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LOOSING THE TRANSFORMER

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILGORDON10

Some circuits drop mains voltage with a capacitor and a resistor. I presume it is cheaper, How do you work out which c and r to use and what the disadvantages and advantages of this as opposed to a transformer.

yours needing help

Philip Gordon

PHILGORDON10 said:
Some circuits drop mains voltage with a capacitor and a resistor. I presume it is cheaper, How do you work out which c and r to use and what the disadvantages and advantages of this as opposed to a transformer.

yours needing help

Philip Gordon

Yes, it's cheaper, but it's also much more dangerous, and the values of the capacitor don't seem to match those calculated by the usual formulas.

A lot depends on your exact usage, it also isn't good for a device which has variable power demands. Mostly only cheap crap items do this.

Advantages:

Cheaper, smaller, cooler.

Disadvantages:

Not isolated, much more dangerous, limited to a narrow current range, difficult to work out.

"Mostly only cheap crap items do this."

Such as the Tektronix 211, 212 and 214 handheld oscilloscopes of the 1970s and 80s, anywhere from $1800 to $2500. These are called "reactive dividers" and Tek used two hefty Mylar capacitors in series for the divider, used both to power the little scopes and to charge the internal battery packs.

The reactive divider (if fully capacitive) does offer line isolation, but that isolation is limited. If the cap tied to the line shorts, the world literally goes up in smoke. The little 200-series scopes were double-insulated, so the isolation problem was a moot point. A reactive divider has little actual power dissipation as compared to a resistive divider. In fact, the divider you mentioned with one cap and one resistor will dissipate power through the resistor, so isn't as economical.

Dean

Dean Huster said:
"Mostly only cheap crap items do this."

Such as the Tektronix 211, 212 and 214 handheld oscilloscopes of the 1970s and 80s, anywhere from $1800 to $2500. These are called "reactive dividers" and Tek used two hefty Mylar capacitors in series for the divider, used both to power the little scopes and to charge the internal battery packs.

What do you think 'mostly' means :D

However, a country which still uses 'screwit' connectors for electrical wiring is hardly a good example of safe practice - they were declared illegal in the UK back in the 60's.

I think that the main disadvantage of using resistors and capacitors (linear devices) is that they don't provide extensible management of the circuit. You just have to add'em in series or/and in parallel to get to your needs: you need more than one device in order to get to the preffered result, AND the descriptive equation, though simple at the beginning, may get quickly :twisted: ....

Nigel Goodwin said:
However, a country which still uses 'screwit' connectors for electrical wiring is hardly a good example of safe practice - they were declared illegal in the UK back in the 60's.

What are these "screwit" connectors?

Agent 009 said:
I think that the main disadvantage of using resistors and capacitors (linear devices) is that they don't provide extensible management of the circuit. You just have to add'em in series or/and in parallel to get to your needs: you need more than one device in order to get to the preffered result, AND the descriptive equation, though simple at the beginning, may get quickly :twisted: ....
Sounds like technobabble to me...

fat-tony said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

think he means twist-on connectors...

Exo said:
fat-tony said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

Yes, for twisting over bare mains wires, they were called 'screwit connectors' in the UK - I cringe every time I see them on 'This Old House' :)

Funnily enough my boss has just come back from New York, he was in a big department store (waiting for his wife!) and a guy opened up a panel on the wall and added an extra wire - by removing one twist connector, and fitting a larger one.

Exo said:
fat-tony said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

Yeh -- we call them "wire nuts" on this side of the pond... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back