Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking to start with 18f series, sugest chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I'm up to where I can do the basic stuff with a PIC (motor controll, input reading ect) but I currently only own 12f and 16f series chips. Which ones are good for general versitility and ease of use? What special features should I check out? I can find suggestions online but many of them are over a year old or specific to the individuals project. I'll probably order two or three kinds at first, so a mix of a models that are good for general use and the ones with special features that I can try out. I would like to be able to use some of the languages that are made for the 18fs such as swordfish basic and MPLAB C. Cost isn't really a worry since the $5 difference between the top and bottom chips is nothing comapared to the hours I'm going to spend working with it.

You'll love the 18fxxx just get a copy of swordfish basic. It's more like C then basic to me, and is very easy to get up to speed with the 18fxxx chips. 18f4620 Bill That would be a real good chip to start with much better then 18f452 I like the 18f1230 and for small jobs and18f1220 for bigger things the 18f4550
but I'm going to get me one of them 18f4620 now after reading the data sheet. Thanks Bill for pointing that out

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to need a new programmer too I suppose. The JDM i got super cheap to get me started was enough to do some basic stuff. But it only programs a handfull of chips and no 18fs, besides that newer computers dont even have serial ports. I've been considering an ICD2.

If you are learning I suggest Bill's Junebug. It is a PICkit2 clone with an 18F1320 target, 3 switches, 6 LEDs, 2 Pots, and IR reciever. It is a great tool to get your feet wet and you can use it to program other chips with ICSP. It also does in circuit debugging with breakpoints, step etc.

The PICkit2 (and the Junebug) can also be used as a simple Logic Analyzer and a device that connects the PIC uart pins to the PC without RS232 level shifters.

The PICkit2 is out but we have not heard much about it from users. Also more expensive.

3v0

A PICkit2 or compatible (like my Junebug) is cheaper than an ICD2 and offer more features like Logic Analyzer & UART tool. Much nicer than a JDM for sure.

Buy you a 18f2550 for your first chip and make you a pickit2 clone. There a site that I used **broken link removed** and here tell how to get it going with your jdm **broken link removed**

Blatant AVR plug =) Don't forget PIC isn't the only game in town! I know most users here are PIC fans, but don't overlook them. Their Dragon development board programs the entire product line and includes full support for JTAG programming and debugging and can emulate any AVR device with 32K or less of memory. USB interface, bus powered small and cheap (50 bucks) And the development environment is free and can be programmed using C, ASM or third party basics.

18F1320 is the chip of choice for me.

I've got over 400 of the little blighters now and most of what I build uses them.

If I need more pins then I'll go for the 28 pin 18F series but most stuff I build only uses a few pins.

I've never had problems on AVRfreaks, but it's been a few years since I've been there. There not so hardcore that if you don't explain your situation, experience, and what you've done you'll get help. They do tend to be angry towards PIC users but I dunno, it's just a cultural thing =) I had problems blinking an LED at first (forgot to set the I/O lines to output) , got plenty of help there, you'll get grumpy people, but you get those here too =) Though the PIC guys here are great.

Alright I've spoken my peace =) Good luck with your PIC stuff. From everything I've run across on the forums here Blueroom knows his PIC's, and definitly knows how to make some spiffy graphics =)

Sceadwian this is in regard to everyone that suggests AVRs to new people.

If you want to suggest AVRs to new people here that is fine, but then you should be willing to help new people here with AVR problems.

Personaly I would love to see more AVR related posts. But it needs to be more then suggesting people use them.

Last edited:
I would buy me a 18f2550 make a Junebug and I have read that it can be programed with a
JDM some where on the net. I like the 18f1220 it will do what I want to do.

Actually I posted code for an LED fader using a tiny11 the other day 3V0 and I will help with any AVR post I see. I have trouble keeping up with the new posts here though and I miss a lot of them. I'll keep that in mind and start searching for AVR when I'm scanning for new posts.

So with these PicKit2 clones that you see which have no socket for a chip, do you just jumper wire them to the correct breadboard pins or does it take something more complicated?

Do these PicKit2 clones they have on ebay generally work alright or do you need to be really carefull? What do you need to look out for?

I make a PICkit2 compatible kit called Junebug. It also includes an 18F1320 as a tutor/experimenter. Most PICs are programmed in circuit now, but if you want the old style I sell a ZIF socket (Firefly Z) addon for the Junebug.

I've got nothing against In circuit programming, I've just never done it. You just jumper the wires to a few of the pins with a resistor here and there as needed right? If it's not a big hastle I'll give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back