Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for this LED, how do I find them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilykat

These were often used in early indicator LEDs like those on many of the Commodore computers. They are long rectangle shaped and had 2 LEDs that could be used separately or wired in series or parallel. I tried to search for rectangle dual LED, and got nada (there seems to be a lot of hits for car lights and home lights but not discrete LED). rectangle LED without dual got me lots of hits but all are single version.

https://i.imgur.com/caa37pV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NqeraGF.jpg

Thickness is roughly the same as standard rectangle LED but the width seems like 2 LEDs stuck together. I'd go with 2 separate rectangle LEDs but it just won't look the same on my old Commodore 128.

why not replace with two individual rectangular LEDs of the same color??
all the best

These were often used in early indicator LEDs............................ I'd go with 2 separate rectangle LEDs but it just won't look the same on my old Commodore 128.

That would be wiser. Even if you live in states, there is no point in spending for dual one, . many a time, the hobbyists would have something in their shelves and they come handy. A small drop of glue could attach them.

spec unfortunately those won't work. The original LED are both the same color, and 4 pins allowed for series, parallel, or independent operation. The dual color LEDs you posted all are 3 pins variety that won't allow for series wiring.

The original LED is 2mm by 15mm. I have tried looking for single LEDs, most are 2x5 and would leave gap. I've found a few 2x6 but that would still leave 3mm gap :( There are larger LED but they would be thicker than 2mm. Can I grab those larger LEDs and dremmel them thinner? Or does LED bulb need to be intact to work correctly?

spec unfortunately those won't work. The original LED are both the same color, and 4 pins allowed for series, parallel, or independent operation. The dual color LEDs you posted all are 3 pins variety that won't allow for series wiring.

The original LED is 2mm by 15mm. I have tried looking for single LEDs, most are 2x5 and would leave gap. I've found a few 2x6 but that would still leave 3mm gap :( There are larger LED but they would be thicker than 2mm. Can I grab those larger LEDs and dremmel them thinner? Or does LED bulb need to be intact to work correctly?

Oops sorry- must admit I didn't spend too much time on your thread.

Hmm- not sure about reducing the led plastic defuser. In theory it should be possible- all I can suggest is try it. LEDs aren't expensive.

Have you thought about a light guide approach. With two small LEDs shining into the other end of the guide.

Perhaps mould some transparent material (resin) around a couple of small LEDS and then Dremmel/polish that.

Alternatively make a piece of grey tinted perspex the correct size and glue a couple of small LEDS to the back of that.

Just thinking out loud.:)

spec

Last edited:
After looking at the images in your original post again, I see no reason why you should not be able to make a piece of translucent plastic the right size and shine two small LEDs into the lower edge. A couple of Vishay 2mA high brightness LEDs, possibly surface mount, would be ideal.

Possibly glue aluminum foil to the non visible edges of the assembly to reflect any stray light back in.

I assume that only the front face of the original LED is visible when fitted to the computer.

spec

Last edited:
Make a Mould of the correct size and pot 2 of those other LED's in it with Epoxy Resin.

Make a Mould of the correct size and pot 2 of those other LED's in it with Epoxy Resin.

This is a good idea if you absolutely require this to be a single package. You can make these simple forms with cheap household silicon. Then just shave down two LED's, place them in the mold and use standard epoxy to mold it.

BTW, I loved my Commodore 128 and the 64 before it.

I have some of those but they have 3 led's in them.

WIN_20160608_194923.JPG
WIN_20160608_194946.JPG

I found one 4 mm wide 16 mm long.
I got that one in the late 1970's I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back