Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for supplier of CCFL transformers (or similar)

Status
Not open for further replies.

riccardo

Hi,

I am looking for transformers for making some inverters. I want to convert 12V DC to about 400V using a royer oscillator. I was thinking the CCFL transformers looked ideal, but I can't seem to find one. They are all listed as spares for TV's etc, rather than the windings, pinout, voltages etc. I just bought this one...
**broken link removed**

.. but it has 8 input pins and I have no info on it.

I basically want a transformer with a single centre taped input winding, and a single output winding. If all else fails, I will have to get cores and make my own :(

Search DigiKey for "CCFL transformer" will give more than 50 hits on 3 pages along with complete datasheets.

Where did you search?

John

Don't know which country you're in, but here in the UK CCFLs are being promoted and are available in shops at as low a price as 10p (~20c US). So it's much cheaper just to buy a CCFL and harvest its transformer (which may suit, depending on the current you need).

You're right .... I meant CFL. But a CFL may include something useful to the OP.

I agree. CFL may have something useful, particularly if all he needs is a transformer and oscillator for relatively low voltage. In the US, stores that sell CFL bulbs collect discarded ones and often just have a large depository near the door. They may not be able to give them to you officially (excuse, "liability"), but they may not stop someone who just grabs a few.

John

Thanks everyone,

The ones on Digikey are too small, bigger the better really. Something that could take a few amps input or more would be great. Perhaps this is too much when looking for CCFL ones. I was just hoping that something in mass production already would be cheaper to get.

I want to build the electronics part myself, so it is just the transformer I need. From what I see so far I think perhaps I should abandon this approach. The Royer is nice and simple and with low component count which is what made me choose this line. I am just wanting to make a compact and low cost high frequency inverter. The other way might be an SMPS, but this is a more complex and more expensive design.

Regarding the winding, should I use litz wire for the primary? Just wondering if it worth the extra cost as I'm not sure how much performance gain I will get at <300kHz.

You won't get much performance gain. Your best bet is ordinary magnetic wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back