Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for source of permeability data

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmichner

Hello,
I'm designing an electromagnet which will simply be a lot of magnet wire wound around a 1/2" diameter steel dowell rod. I've been searching around on the internet unsuccessfully for a while now looking for a general chart which gives permeability data for various materials (Like what you'd see in a physics textbook in the section on permeability, only I don't have a physics textbook at hand). I don't expect to be able to find the exact permeability for the steel that I have--If I could find something that said "steel : xxx N/A^2" I'm sure that ballpark would be good enough.
Thanks!

The one table I have shows iron, in various forms, with maximum permeabilities from 130 to over 800,000 (1.3 E 2 to 8 E 5) - that's a huge range. Sorry I don't have anything better.

Thanks for the quick response.
I don't know why I didn't check there first, but Wikipedia has an article for Permeability (electromagnetism) which has a generic steel spec like I was looking for. It gives it at 875 E -6 Newtons/Amp^2. I know what the huge numbers you have are, the relative permeability, which is what you multiply the permeability of free space by to get the material's permeability.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back