Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for Raspberry Pi or compatible 1 board Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW

I bought a Raspberry Pi several years ago. I think it was the 2nd version that they released. It suffered from the dreaded SD card corruption problem. I tried every fix that was posted on the official RPi forum, to no avail. It was especially annoying, because the designers refused to admit there was any design problem in the RPi, and blamed everything on the user. So the only help was from other users. I eventually gave up, and tossed the thing on the shelf.

However, I would still like to have a small ARM based single board computer to play with, and preferably compatible with RPi software. I might even consider getting another RPi, if I could be assured that the SD memory corruption problem has truly been resolved.

Any suggestions?

I understand how unhappy these things are. I had a competing board that crashed every 3 days like a clock. It some times took out the SC card.

Now I have a Pi3 which has not crashed one time in months. (24/7) It is much better. I do think I should make a second copy of the SC card so I can recover. Not certain how but.....

I think problems are never really resolved. You just upgrade and there are new problems. LOL

I hear that you need a bigger power supply! Many people get a small power supply and have SC card problems. I am very happy with my Pi3. I ordered a programmed SD card with the board. That way I know it is the right speed of card. With the OS on the card it made the start up process much faster. (first time) What is am saying: The first board has a Walmart SD card and a cellphone charger and problems! (old PC USB mouse and old PC USB keyboard) The second board has all the parts from Element14.com. (Old PC wireless keyboard and wireless mouse)

It was always my suspicion that the memory corruption problem was related to the power supply. I suspected that something went wrong during the power down sequence that resulted the memory being overwritten. If I kept the power on indefinitely it would never crash, but if I shut it down, then chances were high that it would crash the next time it rebooted.

I found it was a problem to get micro usb cables with low enough resistance. After first realising the problem I tried ordering the shortest micro usb cables I could find. (To be used with a home made standard size usb extension lead made with thicker cable.) Some of the short leads had just as much resistance as the longer ones so I just finished up selecting the lead with the lowest voltage drop.

Les.

the memory corruption problem was related to the power supply.
That indicates there are files open and writing happening much of the time like in windows. OR On the forums there is much talk about power supplies.

I am writing to you on my Pi3. I use it like a PC. I plan to get another one to do the project. I will get heat sinks for it. Today it is fine but in the summer it will back down to half speed to keep cool.

I bought a Raspberry Pi several years ago. I think it was the 2nd version that they released. It suffered from the dreaded SD card corruption problem. I tried every fix that was posted on the official RPi forum, to no avail. It was especially annoying, because the designers refused to admit there was any design problem in the RPi, and blamed everything on the user. So the only help was from other users. I eventually gave up, and tossed the thing on the shelf.

However, I would still like to have a small ARM based single board computer to play with, and preferably compatible with RPi software. I might even consider getting another RPi, if I could be assured that the SD memory corruption problem has truly been resolved.

Any suggestions?

Hi Bob,

There are SD cards and SD cards. Generally speaking Sandisk (the inventors of flash cards) are the top of the heap.

And as Les says look out for your power lines.

One good check, whith any electronic unit, is to measure the actual voltage on the supply pins of the main chip. You do this by connecting one multimeter lead to the chip positive supply pin and the other multimeter lead to the chip 0V pin.

spec

I used SanDisk and Lexar, and a couple of other name brand SD cards. Made no difference. The usual barrage of replies on the RPi forum, was:
"You're overclocking your RPi"
No I wasn't.
"You're using the wrong SD card"
I was using a good SanDisk SD card bought from a reputable computer store.
"You're using the wrong model SanDisk SD card"
I was using one of the models specified on the official RPi approved parts list.
"You should only use the SD cards that were manufactured on a Tuesday afternoon in months ending in R"
And so it went. And I'm not joking. It really reached this degree of farce. If it won't work with any make/model of SD card, then let's put the blame where it really belongs. The RPi had a serious design flaw, and the designers were in a permanent state of denial.

If they had actually admitted there was a problem, then I might have had the confidence that they would attempt to fix it in a later version. But, if they would never acknowledge the problem, I have no reason to believe that it was ever fixed.

Sorry if I'm sounding crabby. This is all bringing back bad memories. I think if I do anything with the old RPi board, I'll try one of the mods that makes the SD card read only.

One good check, with any electronic unit, is to measure the actual voltage on the supply pins of the main chip. You do this by connecting one multimeter lead to the chip positive supply pin and the other multimeter lead to the chip 0V pin.
Measuring the power at the chip pins is easier said than done. The SoC has a second piggyback chip on top. None of the pins are accessible.

I used SanDisk and Lexar, and a couple of other name brand SD cards. Made no difference. The usual barrage of replies on the RPi forum, was:
"You're overclocking your RPi"
No I wasn't.
"You're using the wrong SD card"
I was using a good SanDisk SD card bought from a reputable computer store.
"You're using the wrong model SanDisk SD card"
I was using one of the models specified on the official RPi approved parts list.
"You should only use the SD cards that were manufactured on a Tuesday afternoon in months ending in R"
And so it went. And I'm not joking. It really reached this degree of farce. If it won't work with any make/model of SD card, then let's put the blame where it really belongs. The RPi had a serious design flaw, and the designers were in a permanent state of denial.

If they had actually admitted there was a problem, then I might have had the confidence that they would attempt to fix it in a later version. But, if they would never acknowledge the problem, I have no reason to believe that it was ever fixed.

Sorry if I'm sounding crabby. This is all bringing back bad memories. I think if I do anything with the old RPi board, I'll try one of the mods that makes the SD card read only.

Measuring the power at the chip pins is easier said than done. The SoC has a second piggyback chip on top. None of the pins are accessible.

Oh sorry Bob,

I know exactly how you feel- I have been in similar types of situations myself.:arghh:

spec

No need to apologize, I appreciate the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back