Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for more help with tesla coil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should definitely coat the secondary with 3-5 coats of (non-flammable) varnish. That helps reduce corona loss on the secondary. I would start there.

after doing some more research online, i found out that my coil is over coupled. i will just have to adjust the hight when i have some free time. thanks for the tip derstrom8. i have at least 10 coats of enamel coating on it

Over-coupling makes it arc from the bottom of the secondary to the primary (or vice versa). I don't think it would make it arc from higher up on the secondary. Have you looked at where the coil is arcing from? Are there any obvious blemishes on the secondary, like bumps in the wire (or kinks) or scratched insulation? That could also cause the problem.

Go ahead and lift the coil, but check the secondary first. You might find something that you didn't know about ;)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back