Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for faceted LED lense

Status
Not open for further replies.

justwantin

I have a project I have been working on which I want to use in some christmas gifts I am making. It involves bunching up some LEDs that then light up randomly to simulate a flame. I have found a faceted lense off a neighbour's trashed el cheapo solar powered LED garden light enhances the effect considerably but I have not been able to locate a supplier for anything similar. All the lenses I've googled up are small single LED types

This lense is about 55mm hight X 35mm wide, faceting runs lengthwise in tube and top faceting steps down towards base. It was positioned over top of a single LED inside a small flat topped lense.

I have attached a photo and any advice would be most appreciated.

TIA
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Buy cheap flashlight reflectors? It's just a piece of nearly randomly shaped clear plastic, you're not goign to find a 'supplier' for it directly.

I don't know if it would be called a diffuser or reflector but it has been deliberately molded with snap in lugs and facets that break up the hot spots and somewhat even out the spread of light from my array of LEDs. I've put clear plastic vials and shot glasses over the array and the effect is not the same.

Note the hot spot in the picture. This is what I am trying to to eliminate. I'm currently using 12000-15000 mcd 15 degree LEDs. I have some 40 degree LEDs now but I haven't given them a go yet. Maybe the wider angle will solve the random hot spot problem

It is a lantern, not a flashlight. A "cheap flashlight reflector" would not be suitable for the effect I am trying to achieve.

**broken link removed**

You're going to have trouble diffusing the light from an LED without casting shadows, you could try doubling the thickness of the roof tile and see if that reflects/difuses enough to get rid of the hotspot.

Its rice paper. Might be worth a try just to soften it a bit. I set up my new array of wider angle LEDs differently I stacked them hard beneath each other (right) instead of random distance (left). Now I have 5 hotspots if I point each stick straight up LOL. I can direct the hotspots wherever now. Don't know if that's good or bad. I'll have to wait until tonight to be able to judge various options in the dark.

**broken link removed**

stop showing us what you think you want and describe the effect you are looking for.

there are side view lenses that only send light to the sides somewhat like a lantern and there are lenses that redistribute the light to a wide even beam.

Dan

I almost put that in my last post but deleted that paragraph. Andon lanterns usually were oil lamps with oil/wick inside and paper instead of glass lense. I'm trying to duplicate the effect of a burning wick behind a paper screen. Traditionally the lanterns had to be open on the top to vent but this is not necessary with LEDs and leaving the top open exposes the circuit.

I don't know anything about what is available so thanks for mentioning side view and wide angle lenses. Would they be available through someone like futurlec or are the specialty items?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back