Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for advice on a custom ortholinear keyboard-PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

icpcb

Hi,

I'm trying to design/build a custom keyboard but I'm a complete beginner regarding electric curcuits and PCBs.

I followed the PCB-design-tutorial by ai03 (https://wiki.ai03.com/books/pcb-design/chapter/pcb-designer-guide) for a 2x2 macroboard,
tried to expand it and follow the design rules I picked up on various tutorials and videos.

I already checked which pins I'm allowed to use for GPIO and tried to include all necessary files in the attachements.

It would be awesome if one of you could drop some knowledge about potential problems, design flaws, etc and I would love to hear your thoughts on the design.

I do realize that this is a time consuming task so I put together some specific questions:
  • MCU and Crystal.png: I got told I should place the crystal as close as possible to the Controller. The distance is around 15mm (down from 45mm). Is the difference really that important?
  • MCU Zone.png: I got told the same applies to the USB. The distance here is around 30mm (down from 17.5cm). Question is the same as in 1.
  • PCB in multiple Layers.pdf/PCB in one Layer.pdf: I only covered parts of the front (GND) and back (+5V) since it's a 2-layer-design. Most PCBs from OpenSource just cover everything in GND on a 2-layer-board. Should I cover one side in GND completely even if everything that's connected to GND is covered by my part-fill?

Additional information:
  • 1 & 2: The complete width of the area that can be seen in MCU Zone.png is between 75mm and 80mm.
  • 2: I added two pictures of the MCU and Crystal.png using the high contrast mode of KiCAD to better visualize the fill zones. These are called MCU and Crystal Front.png and MCU and Crystal Back.png.
  • Unrelated to questions: I added multiple pictures of the boards PCB-design, the schematic and some 3D-visualizations that are not related to the specific questions but the overall topic of a review request. I hope they help. If needed I can add/upload more.

Thank you!

Attachments

• LED and Button.png
    LED and Button.png
    42 KB · Views: 192
  • MCU and Crystal Back.png
    MCU and Crystal Back.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 188
  • MCU and Crystal Front.png
    MCU and Crystal Front.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 180
  • MCU and Crystal.png
    MCU and Crystal.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 181
  • MCU Zone.png
    MCU Zone.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 188
  • PCB in multiplye Layers.pdf
    162.3 KB · Views: 168
  • PCB in one Layer.pdf
    136.2 KB · Views: 166
  • USB.png
    USB.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Schematic.pdf
    254.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 3D Bottom.png
    3D Bottom.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 3D LED and Button.png
    3D LED and Button.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 3D LED Top.png
    3D LED Top.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 3D MCU and Crystal.png
    3D MCU and Crystal.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 3D MCU Zone Bottom.png
    3D MCU Zone Bottom.png
    51 KB · Views: 188
  • 3D MCU Zone Top.png
    3D MCU Zone Top.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 3D Top.png
    3D Top.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 3D USB.png
    3D USB.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 188
The GND on top is not enough, you should have as much uninterrupted copper on the bottom layer as possible, and only have the necessary power lines going there.
The usb lines should be shorter, I would move the connector to the right side of the pcb, where you could also have it in such way that you can actually plug the cable into the connector, i don´t see how it would work in the middle of the pcb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back