Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingnut517

OK - Not gonna beat around the bush - I am a complete novice!! (but not ID 10 T error either)

What I am trying to do (and I must add for as little money as possible) is simply put either a delay in a button push. Let me explain a little better

I have a momentary button wired to light A and from light A it is wired to light B.

When I push the button, light A and B illuminate at the same time. What I need it to do (the simplest way possible) is to hit light A, then hit light B - this could be a 1/4 second delay - I don't care, I just need them to illuminate in order rather than simultaneously.

I am not really using lights in this scenario, just felt it was the easiest way to explain what I am trying to accomplish. I basically want to be able to push a button and have action A happen, then a split second later have action B happen.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Well, the best way to do that somewhat depends upon what you are powering (if not lights).
How much power and voltage?
Is it AC or DC?
Can you use a relay, or do you want it to be solid-state?

It is a video game controller - It uses 2 AA batteries but I have a current modification on it that I have added a wall wart as well. so I can use either AC or DC.
I honestly do not know a relay from a resistor from a capacitor but I am not afraid to dig in and learn what I need to learn to get this done. I'm a 40 year old man with a soldering gun trying to make his daughter happy. I am simply unsure what to look for at this point.

If someone replied " Yeah if you rub your tummy real hard while standing on one foot while you push the button it will work" I would try it.

Is what I need to research a relay??

Would it be easier if I took pics and explained what I am doing a little better??

Last edited:
You could try a parallel RC circuit delay. According to the equation: T=RC where T represents time, R represents resistor, and C represents capacitor. Make sure you complete all the values, so if I have a 10k resistor make sure you have 10,000 in the equation.

You will need a transistor, an electrolytic, a few resistors, a relay and 2 diodes. Are you able to get these types of components?

blueroom - I wish I could simply buy it, and yes I have a shop right around the corner from me - I actually might just take it there and see what they say - might be easier

I guess the problem with me stating I would do anything and that I knew nothing, is I will not be able to recognize a good solution so if you agree with someone else here, please say so!!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back