Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a soldering station that can be used for smd soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoopdog

Ok so heres the jizz,

Im starting to question the continuity of my job, ive had like a week off and the boss says there just isnt that much work around that he needs me, hes still taking his son every day or two for the odd job, understandable, hes an apprentice so he gets paid regardless of wether he does work or not and its better to take him for light assistance work for jobs that realistically only need 1 guy anyway.
Even so, my parents think i messed up somewhere and it seems their paranoia is contageous, i feel as though my money supply will be cut short and i just made several large investments and burned allot of cash lately, i wasnt focusing because i forgot to take my medication.
Money is becoming scarce once again, and ill soon maybe have to rely on my ebay store for spending money.
Today i spent $100 on junk i wanted but didnt neccesarily need, at the end i bought a keyboard stand as a last buy sort of deal, but only now have i realized that something i legitimately have needed and wanted for quite some time was a decent soldering station so i can at last do SMD soldering, or at least do some accurate regular soldering, when it comes to building a project i couldnt care less about time so long as i dont burn any parts and overall do everything as neatly and as high a quality as possible within reason ( strong appropriately thick solder joins ).

A while back i bought a cheap hardware store 40W soldering iron to try and do some soldering, it was horrible plus it got so hot that the tip of the tip became oxidized to the point it was practically unuseable for anything but blotchy auto electrical work (which is kind of what its meant for anyway).

What im getting at is that im looking for a tempurature controlled soldering station of which i can also do SMD soldering with, something which i can find numerous different sized tips for to replace or change over to meet the project demands (obviously ill need a finer tip for SMD) i just want something that will give me allot of options because i dont want to have to buy another soldering station for at least the next 6 years, just because i cant get a specific tip for my station that prevents me from soldering to some degree or range of parts. For all intents and purposes a do anything general purpose quality soldering station is what im after.
Specifically, since i cant buy one, i want to eventually build my own composite driven LCD driver, though its not the only project it is one ide like to do quite soon.

Anyway, does nayone have any suggestions for a fair priced tempurature controlled soldering station ( SMD guides always recomend wellers), which i can do roughly everything with?
Nothing too fancy mind you.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, does nayone have any suggestions for a fair priced tempurature controlled soldering station ( SMD guides always recomend wellers), which i can do roughly everything with?
Nothing too fancy mind you.

Not aware of any soldering station that will do everything. For electronics, I use a simple, temperature controlled unit that is no longer made. I do mostly SMD and just have a fine tip for that purpose. No digital readout, but it works and is similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-St...ly-Variable/dp/B0029N70WM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_4

Don't see why one needs digital readout other than for the bling aspect, if money is an issue as you describe. For heavier duty work I have an ancient 25W iron and a 40W iron. Neither is temperature controlled. I do run them off a Variac. My newest soldering "station " is 13 years old; the oldest soldering iron is more than 30 years old.

I am a bit worried about your perspective on your immediate needs. Why do you need to go heavily into SMD soldering with the prospect of a low-cost, but highly capable soldering station with multiple tips. Are you looking for a job soldering?

John

i forgot to mention im in australia. mailing a rework station from the USA would cost me $100-150.

Its become apparent now that most any soldering station is appropriate for use in SMD so long as it has a tempurature that can be properly controlled. So any recomendations for decent rework stations that will last me the years and not cost excessively high for qualities and features i dont need?

ok so ive got my eye on this one **broken link removed**

and this one
**broken link removed**

anyone have experience with either of these?
also, anyone know where i can get alternate/ replacement tips for the yh-992d?

Last edited:
yes, it wasnt a very common brand name on ebay, so i was unsure about it, also the warranty was considerably less and the price somewhat more, though it actually had replacement tips wheras the other did not, at least none specifically made for it.

However, i think i may well have found the perfect one now, **broken link removed**
Its a lesser model that #1 however it has additional features, and is apparently upgraded, it has an actual known brand name soldering iron on it made by hakko, and incidentally has a large variety of quality replacement tips available. overall though, the quality is much better. Also that One has more powerful hot air gun as well as soldering iron AND it has a variable voltage and current dc power supply which i was looking at getting as well. The same model can be bought without the power supply, but its only like $10 which doesnt really change much unless you really dont want the power supply.

I think im going to get it if nobody has any reason for me not to. Has anyone ever bought any rework stations or soldering stations made by Yihua?
It looks pretty good, this one and although the warranty is only 1 year i actually couldnt care less if it broke down right after the 12 months and i had to buy a new one. Still all the same ide like opinions here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back