Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a Multimeter Gossen Metrawatt Energy vs Rest of Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Was just wondering if anyone was faimiliar with the Gossen Metrawatt Energy multimeter and could let me know what what point of it is over a normal data logging multimeter? Isn't I x V = Power? So all you really need is a multimeter which is capable of logging the voltage and current of for example a battery and then use good old computers to calculate the result? Not sure how to do this latter part although I'm sure it's entirely possible and obviously having a multimeter with a sigma function already displaying the result is handy, but I'm just trying to justify the cost in my mind for one of these things.

I haven't looked into it deeply enough quite yet, the Gossen ranges are quite confusing and even though the website claims there are ever increasing numbers of functions between the multi meters Base -> Pro -> X-Tra or however their ranges work, I can't actually find any info on as to what these additional features are?

The way I see it, all you really need is something like an EBase which is able to log your data to a computer and that's it, the other parameters between the various multi meters are pretty much identical.

Basically, I'm looking to get a multimeter and am having a hard time selecting one. I'm an electronics beginner, so these things are way overkill for anything I'll be doing in the near future, so realistically I can even probably go with an even more basic multimeter say their CATII, but then I'm noticing there isn't much of a price drop between the big boys and their bottom of the range products and yet the features go down and down quite substantially.

In terms of brands, I'm pretty set on a Gossen so that's not up for debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back