Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for a free basic compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfarmerdave

Thanks for the help earlier this evening straightening me out with the Swordfish/PIF16F690 problem. Like I said, I'm new to this and really appreciate your words of wisdom on here. So, now I need to find a free BASIC compiler for a PIC16F690. I've found a handful of free BASIC compilers but being new to this, I would prefer to use something that has had most of the bugs ironed out of it. Any suggestions for a free BASIC compiler compiler and IDE?
Thanks!

Thanks for the help earlier this evening straightening me out with the Swordfish/PIF16F690 problem. Like I said, I'm new to this and really appreciate your words of wisdom on here. So, now I need to find a free BASIC compiler for a PIC16F690. I've found a handful of free BASIC compilers but being new to this, I would prefer to use something that has had most of the bugs ironed out of it. Any suggestions for a free BASIC compiler compiler and IDE?
Thanks!

See my answer to this question in the first thread you started.

Always go back to your original thread for continuation, since that is where most folks will answer your questions, etc.

I know you are looking for a Basic compiler but I will still suggest that you think about using BoostC for the 16F's. It is a good compiler and C is not all that different then Basic, they are both procedural languages. etc.

I know you are looking for a Basic compiler but I will still suggest that you think about using BoostC for the 16F's. It is a good compiler and C is not all that different then Basic, they are both procedural languages. etc.
Quite true. Long ago they were very different languages, but modern BASICs look a lot like C in many ways.

I've been using the free/Lite version of the Sourceboost BoostC compiler for five or six weeks now to program in C for 12F' and 16F' devices and I think it's pretty cool.

The Lite version limits you to 2K code space and 2 banks of RAM but that's plenty for me so far.

The free/Lite Sourceboost download also includes their BASIC compiler but I haven't tried it.

Good luck. Regards, Mike

Last edited:
By all indications the OP has the low pin count demo board that comes with the Pickit 2 kit. With Vdd and Vss at the top of the chip, that board will support other devices like the 12f675, 16f684, and such.

So that board is probably no good with any 18f's as they are more likely to follow the 16f88 pin out? And with the Vdd and Vss pins on the fifth pin down from the top, you can not put a 16f88 on that board.

I like the Crimson editor and GCBasic, but then its just a hobby for me, and I've always been a non-conformist. To each their own, whatever does the job for you is what counts.

By all indications the OP has the low pin count demo board that comes with the Pickit 2 kit. With Vdd and Vss at the top of the chip, that board will support other devices like the 12f675, 16f684, and such.

I believe you're right in this, for the low count board does come with the 16F690 MCU. I bought the same outfit back in June, and have enjoyed working with it. I have had a lot of experience with Basic programming (I still have an operable Radio Shack Color Computer II on the shelf), so I wanted to learn assembly.

I might try C next, if I can get a handle on all those brackets and voids.

I think the PicBasicPro is a really good deal if one just wants simple Basic programming, and the support, forii, sample downloads, etc., are really handy. Plus, it interfaces with MPlab very easily.

About the only real thing to learn is pointers/string handling. As I like to say Basic used to be simple because it was basic. Now that they have added most of what C has it is just as complicated. Both work.

I haven't come across any good C tutorials on the web. Does the Boost download have an understandable on-line manual?

I haven't come across any good C tutorials on the web. Does the Boost download have an understandable on-line manual?
You'll find it here.

But you won't learn C from a compiler manual. It's a compiler reference - not a C tutorial or textbook. You would want to get a good book or two on beginner-level C (not C++) to get up to speed in the language.

I started out many many years ago with Programming In C, by Stephen Kochan (quite good) and C Made Easy, by Herbert Schildt, which appears to be out of print now.

Highly recommended, The C Programming Language, Second Edition, by Brian W. Kernighan & Dennis M. Ritchie

Last edited:
Hi AllVol

I use Proton Basic, and unlike the name suggests, it is actually a very powerful piece of software. It handles USB, GLCD serial comms etc with ease, and the forum is brilliant

The selection of C tutorials on the web is rather weak. I have started writting a series but the progress is slow. Check out the homepage link in my signature. The first two show you how to find the info in datasheet and header files which. It is intended for people who have never programmed, very step by step. Then there is the code for using the switches which is not difficult to understand if you did the first two. The multi tasking one is a bit on the advanced side, but fun.

The selection of C tutorials on the web is rather weak. I have started writting a series but the progress is slow. Check out the homepage link in my signature. The first two show you how to find the info in datasheet and header files which. It is intended for people who have never programmed, very step by step. Then there is the code for using the switches which is not difficult to understand if you did the first two. The multi tasking one is a bit on the advanced side, but fun.

Thanks a bunch for the pointer to your site. The tutorials are coming along very nicely. I had no difficulty following the multi-task presentation.

It appears C and Boost are not that removed from Basic after all. Perhaps its just a matter of studying the key word list and following the syntax pattern, then applying the general knowledge gained from Basic experience.

At least I know what void and {} mean. LOL

Perhaps its just a matter of studying the key word list and following the syntax pattern, then applying the general knowledge gained from Basic experience.

Programming is programming, and languages are languages. If you learn how to program in one language, then you only need to learn the other language in order to program in it. I hope this makes sense; I'm getting another coffee.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back