Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a certain USB splitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Hi all, here we go again--

I'm looking for a certain USB splitter. There are a couple of different options, but in the end I need the front end to be a small (~15mm x 20-25mm) panel-mount female B receptacle, and the back end needs to be two male B plugs, preferably right-angle ones (straight may not fit in the enclosure). Here are my thoughts:

1) Get a regular pigtail such as Adafruit product ID #907 and a female B to 2 male B splitter with right-angle ends (the splitter is the hard part to find here)
2) Get a pigtail with two male B ends, 90-degree (very difficult to find)
3) Get a USB bulkhead with female B on one side and female A on the back side, then get a male A to 2 right-angle male B splitter

I am having difficulty finding some of the splitters, as well as a low-profile bulkhead. I'm finding plenty of **broken link removed** but they are a bit too large for the enclosure.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could accomplish this, and part numbers for each of the connectors/cables? Again, the end product MUST have a female B USB connector mounted to the enclosure wall, and the ends must be 2 male right-angle B connectors. I cannot change these requirements.

Thanks!
Matt

Matt;
The only terms I know for USB is hubs and "Y's" . I have my A's and B's mixed up for now. I thought that "Y-cables" had the power lines paralleled and 1 set of datalines which is used to "double power" at the expense of using two USB ports. I think it can only double the lowest power setting.

However, check out www.l-com.com. There motto is: "If We Don't Have It, Then It Doesn't Exist. And If It Doesn't Exist, Then We'll Design And Make It For You!"

You may have to browse their catalog. Searching is hard. https://www.l-com.com/usb-adapters-couplers

and some other stuff: https://www.l-com.com/usb-connectors-covers

Maybe you can put something together with the wire lead panel mount versions?

They sell USB cable too.

Can you build a small PCB with the required panel mount connectors on it? Angle bracket or spacer fasten?

NOTE: Made some edits.

Last edited:
Thanks KISS, I'll check the link.

And for reference:

usbcable.jpg

Not seeing any Ys there whatsoever....?

EDIT: I forgot to mention the first USB end needs to supply power and carry data, the second one only needs to supply power.

How about the one with screw terminals for the outside and then two pigtails of your choosing maybe cut off from something. To make the screw terminals easier to use, use wire ferrules.

How about the one with screw terminals for the outside and then two pigtails of your choosing maybe cut off from something. To make the screw terminals easier to use, use wire ferrules.

This is a production project, so I can't do any hacking. The cables/connectors should be ready-made.

It would not be kludgy if you could find the pitails.

The Y-cable is supposed to be obsolete. Kinda a kludge, but labor intensive if you have to cut/strip/HS
a USB cable.

I bet a PCB with dedicated connectors won't work? Your PCB would combine power. Maybe you could use mini/micro USB PCB versions on the PCB.

Hmm, perhaps I should better describe this project.

Within the enclosure sits two boards. The top, larger board (the one I'm designing) is the one that needs USB power. The bottom, smaller board is an Opal Kelly XEM3001 Xilinx Spartan III board, connected to my board via board-to-board headers. The OK board already has a female B connector used for power and data. I would tap off of that, except it feeds directly into a 3.3v regulator (no connections to the raw 5v). The current idea is to put a USB connector on my board and use the splitter (like I mentioned). As I was about to leave work today, however, it occurred to me that I might just do a feed-through. Have a single cable come in to the connector on my board, which would supply it with power, and have some traces that lead to a second USB jack on my board, which we can connect to the OK board using a second (short) cable. That seems like it would be the easiest option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back