Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking at microcrontrollers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrooting

I am currently starting a new project. I don't have a much experience with microcontrollers. I am looking to build on that is able to:

- Have min 8 ADC
- LCD capable
- ethernet modbus tcp rtu
- POE (1500V isolation

Any suggestions on a MCU for this application?

Currently looking at a atmega32 will have the ADC's. However I am no sure about adding ethernet (modbus) cummincations. Is there a better option for a microcontroller IC with intergrated ethernet?

MCU's with a lot of integrated components tend to get expensive fast, it might not hurt to look for an ethernet modules which uses something like a standard SPI interface which can be used on most micro controllers as a peripheral.

I would get this: ( PIC18F87J60 )

PIC18F87J60

(i will actually since im just waiting to get paid from work heh)

Dont know if its the site but its like i have no CSS (Style) in the browser so cant upload pic but i have my site :D heres a snapshot of the site:

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You never said what kind of LCD heh

Character, Graphic, OLED, TFT etc...

Also you will not find a magical controller which will do all that you want. You have to code it. Like the one i said above will be usefull since it has:

- Have min 8 ADC
- LCD capable (software)
- ethernet modbus tcp rtu

- POE (1500V isolation

What POE ? im sure some side hardware can handle it...

If all else fails ... buy a PIC32 or ARM7 since it seems like you need major control.

Seems like a lot for a beginner. Consider an Arduino with an Etherenet Shield. Google will find lots of info on the above.

I can not

This is a project with a strict $18 budget for mass production. The PoE is Power over Ethernet and I will be using a module as it was cheaper then producing one myself. The MCU will need to be atleast 16bit for the calculations that will be done along with a 12bit ADC is now prefer for accuracy. I am looking a a PIC24F or H with a ethernet controller SPI.

You don't have much microcontroller experience and yet someone expects you to design and program a unit for mass production?:confused: I hope you're a fast learner.

Mike.

This is a project with a strict $18 budget for mass production. The PoE is Power over Ethernet and I will be using a module as it was cheaper then producing one myself. The MCU will need to be atleast 16bit for the calculations that will be done along with a 12bit ADC is now prefer for accuracy. I am looking a a PIC24F or H with a ethernet controller SPI.
I don't think that budget is very reasonable for such a project. Have you priced ethernet magnetics? The major development expense will be in the firmware and the time it will take you to either learn a packaged library and adapt it or write your own ethernet stack from scratch.

In any case you need to have a clear statement of the projects requirements and deliverables so both you and the people writing the checks will know with crystal clear precision what "DONE" means. Your project may well succeed or fail based on this single point alone. Unrealistic requirements and unreachable promises will not help matters at all.

Last edited:
Yea they expect alot from the three of us. But really its just me doing the majority. The production size would be 200,000 units and will communicate over modbus/tcp. Will only be display data not control needed. They will be done by button control on the device.

All I can say is good luck, and please have an an exit plan when this thing blows up in your face, because it looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I should know -- I've been rogered by experts in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back