Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Locating a power supply without bankrupting my country

Status
Not open for further replies.
The long bar with three dashes under it is the symbol for a DC power source input (as opposed to AC). For an AC-to-DC adapter to work for you, it needs two things:

1) The correct polarity. Most are center-positive. That is, the center pin is the connection for the + connection, and the barrel around it is for the - connection. There is a symbol near the DC input symbol that has the a line from the pin to either a + or -, and a line from a surrounding "C" shape to the other polarity. If you can, photo that and post it.

2) The correct pin size. There are several different combinations of pin diameter and shell diameter. This usually is the main problem when buying from ebay or amazon. I love ebay for things like this, but make sure the vendor is in Ireland and has a return policy.

ak

Last edited:
I love ebay for things like this, but make sure the vendor is in Ireland and has a return policy

Last I heard, he was looking at two options.
1) a $42 unit from a second-hand shop down the road a ways. The guy was going to search through his bin until he found one that worked.

2) wait for a free donated one shipped from Cleveland

eBay is not in the cards.

Reloadron The basic problem is that it's over $20.00 to send anything (a small package) international and USPS is usually the cheapest. I had some obsolete Op amps that someone at Tekscopes really wanted. He was OK with the price, but balked big time at the postage. Basically, he didn't believe me.

China (usually an ebay item) can send stuff to the US for free postage, but we would have to spend >$23.00 USD to send it back if we had to. China subsidizes postage, I hear.

I was a recipient of Ron's generosity here in the US.

Yes, what I said was I have sitting here a HP power supply. Input voltage is 100 to 240 VAC 50 to 60 Hz. Output voltage is 18.5 volts 3.3 amps so it's about a 60 watt supply. The line cord plugs into one side with a standard US 120 VAC wall outlet plug. The DC out is a standard cord with a 5.5mm DC Barrel Plug.

HP Part #239427-003

The problem is I am sitting here in Cleveland, Ohio USA. I have no idea how your customs work on postal stuff. I have no problem sticking this thing in a small cardboard box and mailing it. I do not do pay pal but as far as I am concerned you can have the thing, I will likely never have any use for it. The problem being if I send it international mail you will likely get hit with customs on your end.

So see how your other option works out.

Ron
Wow thats perfect, let me see how ,much that costs and get back to you!! legend!

China subsidizes postage, I hear.
Actually, the US subsidizes postage for things coming from China. There is a UN rule that says developed countries have to subsidize postage for things coming from un-developed countries to developed countries. I guess they still consider China to be an un-developed country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back