Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM7812 voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-3-2-4

I have a voltage regulator here, do I only need a 0.1uf cap between the input and the output to keep the regulator from oscillating? I ask because looking at the datasheet I'm seeing two but of different values.

Normally there is a cap on the input to ground and a cap from the output to ground.

I have 3 caps here I assume the value of it is not really that important to a certain point?

these are what I have
100nF
10nF
4.7nF

Ok I did all this and I don't get this.. the 7812 heatsink becomes untouchable after just only a few seconds of being on, do they need some kind of load or anything? I don't understand why it heats up so fast with no load.

Ok I did all this and I don't get this.. the 7812 heatsink becomes untouchable after just only a few seconds of being on, do they need some kind of load or anything? I don't understand why it heats up so fast with no load.

Can you post a schematic? The 7812 should not get hot unless it is not correctly connected or the input voltage is being exceeded. Something is wrong.

Ron

Can you post a schematic? The 7812 should not get hot unless it is not correctly connected or the input voltage is being exceeded. Something is wrong.

Ron
I think it was the PCB it was on.. a lot of the holes were interconnected but being as I checked them before hand I just ended up taking everything out right now just a straight voltage regulation I see 11.9V on the output

Good deal, so we know it works.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back