LM7812 voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-3-2-4

I have a voltage regulator here, do I only need a 0.1uf cap between the input and the output to keep the regulator from oscillating? I ask because looking at the datasheet I'm seeing two but of different values.

Normally there is a cap on the input to ground and a cap from the output to ground.

I have 3 caps here I assume the value of it is not really that important to a certain point?

these are what I have
100nF
10nF
4.7nF

Ok I did all this and I don't get this.. the 7812 heatsink becomes untouchable after just only a few seconds of being on, do they need some kind of load or anything? I don't understand why it heats up so fast with no load.

Ok I did all this and I don't get this.. the 7812 heatsink becomes untouchable after just only a few seconds of being on, do they need some kind of load or anything? I don't understand why it heats up so fast with no load.

Can you post a schematic? The 7812 should not get hot unless it is not correctly connected or the input voltage is being exceeded. Something is wrong.

Ron

Can you post a schematic? The 7812 should not get hot unless it is not correctly connected or the input voltage is being exceeded. Something is wrong.

Ron
I think it was the PCB it was on.. a lot of the holes were interconnected but being as I checked them before hand I just ended up taking everything out right now just a straight voltage regulation I see 11.9V on the output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…