Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM317 Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zangi

Hi,

I have only one source input and need to create a vertual ground to attach
the power input to this circuit.

Attachments

• LM317_split supply.JPG
    LM317_split supply.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 192
  • LM317 Dual Supply_VB.asc
    1.6 KB · Views: 180
Hi,

your regulator will fall out of compliance if the load is too small.
Also, your load had nothing to do with your virtual ground, why do you need the virtual ground?

also, an op amp works quite well, why stack regulators?

your regulator will fall out of compliance if the load is too small.
If you make the value of R4 and R5 equal to R2 and R3 it won't.
an op amp works quite well, why stack regulators?
Presumably because it can carry a higher inbalance current.

Also the two output voltages are regulated, independent of the input voltage (within the operating limits of course).

So, do you have a question?

A virtual ground circuit frequently has a sourcing and sinking ground current. Your lower LM317 can source lots of current but sinks no current.
Your circuit is missing the recommended input and output capacitors shown on the datasheet of the LM317 so it will probably oscillate.

Here's a split-supply circuit that uses two voltage regulators that can either sink or source current, so can handle any load current imbalance between the two outputs..

1584817308419.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back