Resource icon

LM317 Adjustable 20V, 1.5A Supply with Simple SMPS Tracking Preregulator 2015-04-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

crutschow

Most Helpful Member
crutschow submitted a new article:

LM317 Adjustable 20V, 1.5A Supply with Simple Tracking Preregulator - LM317 Power supply with switching tracking prereg for good efficiency and minimal heat sink reqmts.

Read more about this article...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Nice trick! I am using the 1st part of the circuit designed by you
here
, to charge my cell phone. So it's interesting to me. My cellphone takes maximum 750mA current through it and MOSFET needs medium size heatsink though.)

I guessed heat dissipation is divided into two part (minimised too around switching area)- around MOSFET little and around LM317 chip. To save component (I think LM317 is expensive than TL431) we could totally remove the LM317, and could add a TL431 based adjustable regulator circuit as a reference voltage for LM393, couldn't we?

After that our output part would be the the P-MOSFET. After that I cannot assume its heat dissipation though. (But I know that it would be a noisy power supply with huge ripples!)

Last edited:
Hi cruts,

You do some stuff.

The ciruit is fine as is, of course. I was just thinking: At the moment you have a buck pre reg. Have you thought about another version with s SEPIC pre reg. That way the supply volts could be anything, within reason. I only ask because it would be ideal for an application I have in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…