Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM2931Z-5.0 for automotive regualtion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
It is not uncommon for someone to post a qestion regarding putting some form of electronics in his/her car. The poster often overlooks the harsh conditions that exist in the automotive environment.

While ordering parts I happen to find this little gem LM2931Z-5.0. It is a 5V 100mA regulator.

Designed primarily to survive in the harsh automotive environment, these devices will protect all external load circuitry from input faultconditions caused by reverse battery connection, two battery jump starts, and excessive line transients during load dump. This series also includes internal current limiting, thermal shutdown, and additionally, is able to withstand temporary power−up with mirror−image insertion.
All that in at TO-92 for 27 cents.

It sounds too good to be true.

Good price! I know the **broken link removed**, same features but it can supply up to 0.5 A. Package: TO-220. 0.6$ each.

The LM2931Z-5.0 is also a low-dropout regulator that still regulates when its input voltage is only 5.4V. I use it in all my 9V battery-powered projects because the 9V battery voltage drops to 6V or less and a 7805 regulator drops out when its input voltage is 7.0V.

That's what is great abotu IC's 3V0, for specific applications they rule. It's only 'general application' that the ball gets thrown up in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back