Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lithium Ion battery 3.6V max. charge voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

I have been using a Motorola cellphone C381 with a tiny charge connector which is broken.

So I have to manually charge the batteries. The charge adapter has 6.25V stabilized output, but the batteries' labels show 3.6V.

What is the maximum charging voltage which could be applied to those batteries?

Thank you

Boncuk

I was surprised to find out there are some rechargeable Li coin cells that are indeed 3.6V (full charge) cells. If these are those, you charge them up to 3.6V not 4.2V. If they have 3.6V stamped on them, that could be what they are. If you have the manufacturer's part number, do a net search and make sure which kind they are so you don't overcharge them.

Last edited:
If in doubt, don't charge a lithium battery and cause it to catch on fire if your voltage is too high.

The vast majority of these cells aim for 4.20V as the endpoint. Typically, Li-Ion cells are charged by first applying a constant current (at some fixed value, often 0.5C) until the battery voltage is 4.2V, and then applying constant voltage until the current flow into the cell drops down to about 0.1C at which point the charging is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back