Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux - route command wireless to wired network

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
If eth0 is connected to some box (modem/router/switch) with an IP of 198.162.0.1 to configure it only.
wlan0 is on a 10.0.1.x network. Router on that network is 10.0.1.1
Linux box has an IP of 10.0.1.4 assigned with DHCP.

So, how can I put the 192.168.1.1 device on the 10.0.1.x network, but using the wired port on the laptop?

Even if the router was had an IP address on 10.0.1.x, how could I make it work?

Now, I can likely put the "some box" on the 10.0.0.1 network elsewhere.

==

Asides:

The modem makes no distinction between LAN and WAN ports.
It claims you can't access the modem when configged under bridge mode. The only way, is to reset it to factory defaults.
I'd love to be able to get line stats via telnet or reset it back to a stand-alone modem via telnet.

In the visible command help there is mention of a secondary IP address that may be able to be set.

There is telnet access to the box. Supposedly it's from both sides. I haven;t tried that yet. I could successfully telnet to the box when not connected to DSL which is the only way I tried. I was unable to use the GUI interface on another port.

Some commands are made visible by the interface and supposedly you can access the shell. I haven't tried.

It's a current product, but all ISP branded questions MUST be answered by the ISP. Maybe I need to buy an unbranded one to get questions answered?

The questions above don't address the purpose.

Enable routing or forwarding and add appropriate routes to each port, to cover the LAN addresses in use.

How you do that likely depends on the linux distro in use; we only use Redhat / Centos so I'm not familiar with commands for other systems.

If you re trying to share a single address modem with multiple devices, then you need to use iptables "masquerade" function and set up it's DHCP server (unless you are using all static addresses).

That effectively makes the machine a NAT firewall.

Your post was not understandable to me.. That's unusual.

In any event, lets say you have a laptop on a 10.0.0.0 Network, NM = 255.255.255.0; Gateway of 10.0.1..1
Not a common address. Anyway 192.168 and 168.192 was initially dyslexic. Hard for me to remember the order. 10 is an easy number. Server is like 10.0.1.222 (three 2's easy to type and remember).

So, let's say I had a device on the 10 network that I wanted to use and plug into my laptop. Suppose it was a laserprinter. No one else really needed to use it.

or suppose it was configured at 192.168.1.100 and again I am the only one that needed access.

I just don;t get what's required.

I think I get this one, though. Suppose i had another internet provider and a router for both providers. If I artificially set one metric to 10 (normal gateway) and the other to 2000 (backup gateway)
then that would allow that interface to be used for backup. If the metric were the same, it should do load sharing.

I don't quite understand static routes either.

Question...out of the blue.

If I set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.128 and the gateway to 10.0.1.1 (my normal net). Is it my understanding that half the addresses would stay on the LAN (lower half, I think) and 1/2 would seek the LAN port for resolution?

I do realize that there needs to be a gateway to generally get out, but even in the case above, should their be a routeron that 192.168.1..00 segment?

At some point, hopefully soon, I'll have other real options available to me. i.e static routes set within a router.

The one idea, seems simple; just combine a wireless port (10.0.1.3) and a wired port (call it 10.0.1..100) so that
a) 10.0.1.3 normally reaches the internet through 10.0.0.1 gateway.
b) Make the wired (10.0.1.100) device see the 10.0.1.x LAN or just (10.0.1.3)
c) Optionally make the 10.0.1.100) device see the Internet through 10.0.1,1

I didn't split up the LAN, but I used ranges of addresses. I think anything below 10.0.1.<1-100>) is DHCP with a long lease.
Printers start at at 230, Server a 222 (easy number)

I have a Silex USB server that doesn;t like linux

I have a Skype/pots handset that Micro$oft changed the API and the company no longer even supports iit. I really liked that product. The API change has really made a mess for people using Asterex PBS

I have two printers and I need to set up a 3rd. A HP2015dn is the B&W laser printer workhorse; an EPSON Artisan 850 did scanning and printing on CD's and paper. This could also FAX (not connected yet) Set up as wireless. The EPSON can;t scan right now, but I may be able to fix it. It can inkjet print. I have a color laser that I need to set up.

I'll have a couple of repeaters and a decent router in a mesh network at some pont. ASUS RT-ac68u.

I have a web mountan mini-automation server that's been in abox for while. Brought up a problem to the developer, but never put it backup. Long story/

I need to put up a 24 Port Dell Gigabit POE switch.

Another tough device is a ATSC modulator / IPTV server. I need to get the gigabit wired network up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back