Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux is a pile of poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burt,

I think I already did that. When I do it again I get,
mike@mike-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Mike.

I tried installing the 32 bit version of 185 and was informed that I am running the 64 bit system. uname -r just returns 2.6.27-7-generic

Mike.

try this and see if it fixes the kernel source so you can build
sudo aptitude install linux-kernel-headers linux-headers-`uname -r`

That doesn't seem to do anything,
mike@mike-desktop:~$ sudo aptitude install linux-kernel-headers linux-headers-`uname -r`
[sudo] password for mike:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
No candidate version found for linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic
No candidate version found for linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic
The following packages will be REMOVED:
dkms{u} fakeroot{u}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 840kB will be freed.

I think my problem is lack of network access outside of Gnome. After I do alt-ctrl-F1 and stop Gnome I cannot ping anything and so I assume my wireless drivers have been stopped as well. The Nvidia installer is trying to fetch the driver but can't.

Mike.

The 173 drivers cause it to boot in low res mode so I think it is the 180 (or 185) drivers that are required. According to this page I need NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.31-pkg2.run for GeForce 6 series and Linux 64 bit. How do I know if I am on Linux64 or Linux32?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

The 6150SE is not in this list so I would think it's not supported by that driver. The fact that you can get it working (at least to some degree) using 173 but not 180 seems to bear this out.

With the 173 version installed, do you get the driver listed in Hardware Drivers? If so, can you attach your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?

Also, what low res are you seeing? What resolution do you expect/hope for?

Torben

That doesn't seem to do anything,

I think my problem is lack of network access outside of Gnome. After I do alt-ctrl-F1 and stop Gnome I cannot ping anything and so I assume my wireless drivers have been stopped as well. The Nvidia installer is trying to fetch the driver but can't.

Mike.

That's just weird. Networking doesn't rely upon anything in Gnome and should work fine without it. Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't stop Gnome so I can only assume you're killing Gnome some other way and that might be taking out your networking for some reason.

Why are you killing Gnome again? You shouldn't have to--logging out and back in should restart the X server for you.

Torben

The SE isn't but the 6150, 6150S and 6150LE are in the list and so I think it is the 180 I need. The 173 cause it to boot into a "safe" type video mode and I had to restore to default.

My config file appears to be the default,
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Mike.

I have to stop gnome or the install program complains I'm running an X server. I tried init 3 (see here) but that didn't work either.

BTW, how do I login as root or do I just use sudo?

Mike.

you can type ifconfig -a and see if it is still up. alt-ctrl-F1 doesn't stop gnome it just opens a terminal the only way to stop gnome it to change init to 1
which kills gdm and stops gnome the uname -r is not getting all of you kernels name I use debian ubunta has too much bloat for me I do use it at a net cafe with 6 computers but i never had any problems with NVIDIA cards it was always ati that gave me hell

I have to stop gnome or the install program complains I'm running an X server. I tried init 3 (see here) but that didn't work either.

BTW, how do I login as root or do I just use sudo?

Mike.

You can use sudo. Once you're confident you can use 'sudo su -' to enter a root shell and then 'passwd' to give the root account a password so you can actually log in as root.

Torben

Last edited:
In terminal type sudo su - enter it will ask for your password and then change to root
then you should use top and kill gdm which will stop gnome

Last edited:
The SE isn't but the 6150, 6150S and 6150LE are in the list and so I think it is the 180 I need. The 173 cause it to boot into a "safe" type video mode and I had to restore to default.

Right, but 173 lists the 6150SE specifically. 180 *may* support your card, but I *know* the 173 does--so being remote, that's a better place to start since I can't actually get my hands on your machine.

My config file appears to be the default,
[snip]

That's it? That's your whole xorg.conf?

Torben

When you're at the command line (X stopped) if the network is down try

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

to get the net back up.

Torben

I think when I'm at the command line the system is trying to use my wired card and not the wireless. Restarting didn't work. I'll try disabling the wired card in setup.

Mike.

I think when I'm at the command line the system is trying to use my wired card and not the wireless. Restarting didn't work. I'll try disabling the wired card in setup.

Mike.

Weird. It shouldn't care whether you're in X or not; the networking is independent of that. I wonder whether Network Manager is taking down the wireless when it is closed when X is killed. There's not much I like about Network Manager (that's why I recommend replacing it with Wicd).

Torben

Your using debian ?

Ubuntu 9.04. It's Debian with a different set of preconfigured packages.

Mike, with X killed, what does

Code:
$ ifconfig

show you?

What are the (full) contents of /etc/network/interfaces?

Torben

Disabling the wired card made no difference. I can ping BBC - Homepage at the command line and get a reply but once I stop Gnome it no longer works. I'm guessing that Gnome looks after the wireless key. Looks like the 50M network cable may be the only way.

Mike.

How do I redirect the output of ifconfig to a file?

/etc/network/interfaces is an empty file!!!

Mike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back