Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux And Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnieswap

Hi! Could some one please suggest me where to get circuits/projects for Linux platform? I am an electronics enthusiast and have developed certain projects. Now I need to know if this could be done on Linux as well...

Please help guys!

Arnie

What exactly are you trying to program in Linux platform? More detail would get you more helpful replies.

arnieswap said:
Hi! Could some one please suggest me where to get circuits/projects for Linux platform? I am an electronics enthusiast and have developed certain projects. Now I need to know if this could be done on Linux as well...

Please help guys!

Arnie

Not sure what you're after here. Programs for editing schematics? Google for Eagle, gEDA, kicad, Oregano and/or Electric. . . they may help. Oregan and gEDA also support simulation. Also, LTSpice runs fine in Linux under wine, so that's another option. I personally like and use Eagle and LTSpice. Note that if you're into eyecandy and have Beryl or Compiz running, you will probably have to make some adjustments so that Eagle runs acceptably well, but it can be done. Post here or IM me if you need help with that. I have Electric installed but haven't really given it a swing yet. Looks powerful, though.

What distro are you using? If it's Ubuntu, then search in the Electronics section in Synaptic; it has many packages you may find useful. I haven't run Slackware or Red Hat-derived distros for some years so I can't be as much help there, but the general concepts are the same.

Torben

Maybe he means PIC Microcontrollers? If so, MPLAB (or whatever its called) can be run on Linux using Wine. If you dont have wine, and run A Debian Based OS (such as Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Knoppix..etc) run the following command in a prompt:

sudo apt-get install wine

Or use a package manager. You must be root to do this though.

Overclocked said:
Maybe he means PIC Microcontrollers? If so, MPLAB (or whatever its called) can be run on Linux using Wine. If you dont have wine, and run A Debian Based OS (such as Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Knoppix..etc) run the following command in a prompt:

sudo apt-get install wine

Or use a package manager. You must be root to do this though.

Good points. For ARM, AVR, and 8051 type microcontrollers, there's the Keil stuff, which also works fine under wine. I have used their uVision IDE (C51 compiler) evaluation software for programming AT89C4051s with no trouble (well, I did have to write a small utility to reorder the HEX files it outputs since my cheap kit programmer has a very small buffer and can't deal with larger out-of-order HEX files). But again, it works fine under wine. https://www.keil.com/demo/

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back