Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Links in Dil Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screech

Links in Dil Package
Is there such a thing?
Who sells them on this planet ? & what would you call them?
thanks

Attachments

• thescreech._links.in.dil.format.gif
    thescreech._links.in.dil.format.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 748
You could substitute a dip switch package with all switches closed? Your drawing shows a 16 pin package and would be a perfect fit for an 8 position switch package.
Dialtone

Switches are probably rated for the max current they can switch. But they can probably pass much more current continuously if they aren't switched while loaded.
He, he. So don't switch them if they are armed nor if they are drunk. :lol:

You can get "resistor networks" in dip packages, some come in less than 10 Ohm sizes. You can also get "zero-ohm" jumpers that look like resistors, but are just a body on a solid wire. We used to call them "sanity preservers" when trying to layout single sided PCB's and gave up trying to avoid crossed traces. You could try Dale/Vishay, or any of the larger distributers like Mouser, Digikey, etc, they should have something.

The zero ohm jumpers are good where traces run under them and you don't want to risk a bare wire jumper shorting it or getting a solder bridge. They are also common in surface mount packages.

A final resource would be what are called "dummy parts." These come in all packages and are used for testing PCBs for continuity. Morte likely these are too expensive for your needs though.

What's wrong with wires? I just use insulated wires as jumpers. You can use spagetti as insulation if you wish. DSE sell bags of small spag.

RS components (in South Melbourne) sell 0 Ohm resistors, but they (when I was last there about 12 months ago) want you to spend at least $10 and it some times pays to ring and order first since some parts have to come from Sydney.

Len

While using a small wire jumper makes sense, it is not always practical. If the jumper is very small the tiny bit of insulation will melt off during soldering. In small volume, doing little jumpers is fine, I do it all the time, but if you have to do alot it often ends up the same cost to use zero ohm parts if you have to use high temp insulation.

I suspect none of us are sure about your requirements or the intended purpose of the jumpers, but, may I ask if this pcb pattern couldn't simply be replaced by a double row header on 0.100" centers? Then you could simply use 0.100" jumpers...

Regards, Mike

Mike said:
I suspect none of us are sure about your requirements or the intended purpose of the jumpers, but, may I ask if this pcb pattern couldn't simply be replaced by a double row header on 0.100" centers? Then you could simply use 0.100" jumpers...

Regards, Mike

ok,
Firstly I have a lot of links on my circuit board.
It took me ages to make them all and solder them up, and they looked like ****!

I now wanted to do them in dil packages (chip look-a-like) because it would would be so much quiker, easier ,looks nicer, and may help protect my circuit from copying.

I just cant find find such a product.

I have found some dil switches in 1 amp ratings , but are too expensive.

I may have to do what you guys say.

Thanks for your outputs guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back