Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LINEAR VOLTAGE STABILIZER

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxy

Hi
Can anyone explain to me how the voltage stabilizer that I attached as a file works?
thanks a lot

Attachments

• LINEAR VOLTAGE STABILIZER.jpg
    LINEAR VOLTAGE STABILIZER.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 212
  • EXPLNATION.pdf
    64.3 KB · Views: 205
The opamp compares the output voltage to the zener reference voltage and the opamp output will go high or low if the voltage is low or high (as the voltage sensing is on the inverting input).

That acts to adjust the transistor base drive and hold the regulator output at a constant voltage, within a fairly limited range of current.

eg. It may be OK for a few hundred mA with an appropriate transistor, but not high currents as most opamps can only give fairly small output currents, something probably in the 10mA to 50mA range depending on the type.

The opamp would also have to be suitable for the voltage range involved; some can't take above 3 - 5V, other can operate on 40V or more.

Have a read through this:

Thanks a lot!
What is the output of the op-amp?
Is there any effect on the output of the op-amp; from the non-inverting side?
and why the voltage to the Base of the transistor decreases when VL increase?
So actually you say that when the voltage in the inverting side increases;
the output voltage of the op-amp will decrease in order to make equal V(+) and V(-)?
thanks a lot

Last edited:

Yes. The over simplified model of an OpAmp is -

1662987565446.png

Ignore Ro, Ri. So output is internal A x (V+ - V-), but then thats modified by feedback.

Regards, Dana.

Yes, the op amp will try to keep the voltage at the inverting input equal to the voltage at the non-inverting input.

Thanks a lot!
What is Vi; in my circuit?
So why: VL=Vz-Vi in my circuit?
Why, in a op-amp, whose voltage gain is infinite, the voltage Vi tends to zero?
Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry, I just realized Vi was not Vin.

Vi, for an OpAamp with - fdbk does go to 0 when its internal open
loop gain, Aol, goes to infinity.

Take a look at this -

If you take this simple model and add the feedback Rs and do the analysis you find

1) As internal Aol approaches infinity R0 will approach 0.

2) As internal Aol approaches infinity V1 - V2 approaches 0, eg. virtual ground.

3) And several other important affects in the AC realm.

1663012115092.png

Note Vd = V1 - V2 in the above, the differential voltage at the inputs.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Vl = A ( Vz - Vl) = AVz - AVl

so Vl (1 + A) = AVz or Vl = AVz / (1 + A) = Vz / (1 + 1/A )

if A goes to infinity Vl = Vz

Regards, Dana.

1663076135004.png

let A= 10^5 (typ BJT Op Amp) and VL=Vz since closed loop gain = 1 as there is no attenuation to Vi- negative feedback. . Non-inverting gain = 1+ |inverting gain=0|=1. But we hope Vz is constant, but italso has some series resistance so it varies much less than Vin.

If VL-Vz= small error,E then Vi= E/10^5 thus Vi~0 however if OpAmp has input offset, in uV or mV that too will be added to output error, E. In datasheets input offset error= Vio

And of course there is error due to PSRR and Vbe and OpAmp Rout but for the
simple circuit and crappy tolerances of Vz most designs, I would posit, would not
care given the approach used. Not counting AC effects and noise as well.

Regards, Dana.

Thanks a lot!
VL=A(Vz-Vi)
VL-is the output of the circuit
Whereas Vi is the input of the negative side of the op-amp.
But you assumed that VL and Vi is the same thing
and it is not correct.
IL*RL=VL is the output of the circuit
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back